Force Fins VS the world (advice for first pair of fins?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look how many people here put down Force Fins and yet they have never used them!!!.

Can you please quote the posts you're talking about?

I have re-read the whole thread and I only found this one post that could be what you're talking about. Where he said this:

No matter what the fin design is, the basic law of physics still applies: Force = Mass * Acceleration, and FF are just too lightweight. I have been taught well that it is best to minimize your body movement underwater. That's why I'll stick with jet fins. Scuba diving is not swimming, and you'll need to kick more frequent with FF to move around. So, it is up to your style and things you do underwater.

But that's the only post I can find that I can construe to denigrate FF fins and be from some who (maybe?) has not tried them. He doesn't actually say whether he tried them or not.

There have been lots of posts on lots of threads that have made the comment that either they are too expensive or provide me with performance numbers by folks who admit they never tried them or briefly tried a pair (not the high performance materials/designs). My response is not just to this thread but the general tone of those that "never tried anchovies ". It was not specifically pointed at you.

I have never, ever said that Force Fins are the best ins for everyone or every type of diving.

If your diving involves puttering around a reef in 30-60 ft of water, with little or no current, you can get by with almost any fins.

If you routinely encounter currents or long swims, you might benefit greatly from the proper Force Fin, especially if you have problems with cramps or leg/knee problems.

For cave diving the only Force Fins I would suggest would be Hockey's or Excellorator's, because they frog kick extremely well.

If Force Fins offer you an advantage, pick the right fin for your type of diving. A lot of divers spend hundreds of dollars extra for a high end reg ot BPW but cheap out on their fins which probably are a piece of gear that would make their dive experience much better.

The reason most divers are shocked by the price of Force Fins is that their dive shop pushes them toward cheap, mass produced, plastic fins that the dive shop makes a huge margin on (as do the manufacturers).

TN Traveler,

You made such a rational post recently that I thought you might be coming around, I even defended you. I guess I was wrong. You continue be the FF spokesperson, unfortunately you no longer have the voice of Dan Volker to support you.

Good diving, Craig

I appreciate your "defending" me. I am not a Force Fin spokesperson - I just have an extreme distaste for trolls who do nothing more than bash a product they have never tried.

If you follow me, I have defended Mares in regard to their Dacor purchase also, when people make unsupported/erroneous statements about that situation.

Just so you know, I am trying to get you Dan's email so you can try Force Fins when you are in Boynton.

Any dive is a good dive as long as the water is warm and blue. :wink:

Can you please quote the posts you're talking about?
But that's the only post I can find that I can construe to denigrate FF fins and be from some who (maybe?) has not tried them. He doesn't actually say whether he tried them or not.

Sure I've tried the original FF. I also have friends who have the tan delta. They can kick really fast without moving a meter.
So, this is also about choice of style. Some swimmers prefer freestyle, some frogkicks. But it is too misleading to just say "this is the best fin in the world".
There's also no need to assume too much here really...ie "they must be noobs, overweighted..etc".

Do a quick search on youtube, and see how many FF videos would pop up. Not so many, except just some very old demos.

Jphehe, You have friends who can not move more than a Meter in Tan Delta Force Fins. . ? Really. Good go break this record Mate. A old Video.

I tried the regular ones, loved the foot strap. Decent fins, for about $70 I'd probably still choose my Accels over them for having flat blades -- now that, thanks to Dan the Banished, I have a pair of Merrell ortholites in my booties and Accels sit on my metatarsals and are not pressing on my toes or anywhere else they shouldn't. I'm sure Accels won't last forever and I'll have an excuse to buy a new shiny... there's gotta be a downside to that.

Wow. Bob, thank you for posting these various videos. They have pretty well cemented my opinion and ensured that I will never put any significant effort into trying Force Fins. If I'm somewhere where I can try them for free and without committing to using them for a whole dive that I put any value on, I would definitely try them. But, go out of my way? No. Spend any money to try them? Not a chance.

Unfortunately, this is where the Force Fins threads usually end up. Personally, I would like Force Fins, Bob Evans, and TN Traveler to continue to participate on SB. I'm all for diversity. Obviously, there are some divers who think extremely highly of Force Fins, that does not surprise me. There may be characteristics that are ideal for those divers. I did not find Force Fin Pros to be the best fin for me, but, I have not had the opportunity to try other models. Just before I was able to set up a fin trial in an area I know very well, a well known SB poster, Dan Volker, was banished from SB (for reasons I am not privy to). Given the opportunity, I would be very glad to test a more advanced model of Force Fins against my Dive Rite XTs. I think it behooves all of us to remain open-minded. The cost factor is completely unrelated, if they last forever, who cares?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom