Force Fins VS the world (advice for first pair of fins?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. Bob, thank you for posting these various videos. They have pretty well cemented my opinion and ensured that I will never put any significant effort into trying Force Fins. If I'm somewhere where I can try them for free and without committing to using them for a whole dive that I put any value on, I would definitely try them. But, go out of my way? No. Spend any money to try them? Not a chance.
Wow, Wow,
You cement my thoughts also. I am banning my self, from Scuba Board before I get . I love what Pete was doing when he first started Scuba Board, but the World has changed. Personally I do not care what kind of fin a person chooses. I have tried several times to close Force fin, but my service to those who need Force fin (Navy/special forces) keeps me going. God Bless America. and Thank you Pete, your a great person. Adios
IMG_4300.gif

Wow, Wow,
You cement my thoughts also. I am banning my self, from Scuba Board before I get . I love what Pete was doing when he first started Scuba Board, but the World has changed. Personally I do not care what kind of fin a person chooses. I have tried several times to close Force fin, but my service to those who need Force fin (Navy/special forces) keeps me going. God Bless America. and Thank you Pete, your a great person. Adios View attachment 377064

Hi Bob,

See my post one before yours, stick around, your departure would be a loss to SB. I'm sure Pete feels the same.

Good diving, Craig

Don't let the haters get to you @Bob Evans . I'm a fan of force fin and so are lots of others. I wish there were more little companies that focus a specific thing.
I know a bunch of instructors who use your fins but they're bad customers, they bought a pair ages ago and will never buy another pair because those things last forever.
Sometime it seems people rather buy the product that has better marketing instead of the better product. The owner of my LDS back in the day told me, that he loves his FF but doesn't like to sell them in his shop because people wont ever buy another pair of fins.
I think part of the problem is that lots of people don't know about FF, I've been asked about them countless times.

First time participating in a Force Fins thread. Who knew this was such serious stuff. I imagine if this discussion took place in a bar rather than a diving website it would lead to a quality brawl including smashing beer mugs and smacking people across their face with "flippers".

I haven't tried or let alone seen a pair of Force Fin so I can't offer any opinion other than they do appear to be pricey, but I'm sure the quality is there. Whether it's justified for the amount of added performance I don't know. They do look cool.

To the OP, you asked for a comparison, which I can't do for the aforementioned reason, but I can offer you my thoughts on the two fins I've ever owned. DiveRite XT open heeled fins and Cressi Garra full foot pocket freediving fins. Yes, freediving fins can be an excellent choice for scuba.

The XT's are a great choice for travel, shore diving and while I'm not a cave/wreck pene. diver I imagine they would be a good choice for those dives as well. IMO, they provide a descent balance between thrust and control. I certainly feel like I have much better control over my kicks and can make small adjustments to my postion in the water compared to long fins. They also seem to be of a higher quality than many other fins I've seen. They certainly allow for alternative kicks, something a long fin lacks.

Now, my Cressi Garra fins, I absolutely love them. Most of my diving is in the ocean hunting and when I used them for the first time I was blown away with the performance. They are now my go to fin for nearly any dive. It takes a little getting used to kicking from your leg rather than your calf/ankle which is usually the cause of cramping for many divers and a common bad habit for new divers, but once you get it down you'll have no issues. It's actually a good thing because long fins force you to use a proper kick. They do have a lot more surface area and therefore require more use of your muscles, but if you have any sort of athleticism or do any sort of aerobics, jogging, etc. you won't be susceptible to leg muscle fatigue. Long fins are the go to choice for not only freedivers, but scuba spearos as well. There's a reason for that.

That said, long fins certainly would be a poor choice for certain types of dives. Cave and wreck penetration or even possibly macro reef diving would be some examples. Some consideration must be made for how your fin may damage coral. Up close photography being one. I think donning them in the surf for a shore dive would be a mistake as well. But for cruising reefs and ledges, covering ground, managing currents, chasing down fish, they are my go to fins.

As with many things, you need the right tool for the job and there's no reason you can't have more than one set of fins.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
CuzzA makes a great point - use the fin that works best for the situation.

The reason I asked a previous poster what he meant by "these" is that Force Fins is the name of a company that makes a wide variety of fins for a variety of uses. Here is an idea of some of the fins they make (and it is not complete, since Bob has created lots of fins):

Scuba Fins:

Fish Tail Shapes:
Originals
Pros (slightly stiffer)
Tan Delta (much stiffer w/higher rebound)
Tan Delta Flying (stiffer/wider with tips turned toward the bottoms - greatly improves frog kicking)

Other shapes: (all these will do any and all alternative kicks)
Extra (stiff/larger blade - you need strong legs)
Tan Delta Extra
Hockeys (super rebound - these do any kick well)
Excellerators (mixture of speed and performance with minimum effort - these do any kick well)
Tan Delta Excellerators (the above on steroids)
SD-1 (developed for the military for special forces to swim ashore with wearing full battle gear - large stiff blade - adjustable foot pocket - heavy)
Fab (these were experimental - ribbed blade with elastic panels between the ribs - can really move some water - I don't think any two pair of these is alike)
Launch Pad - OPS (Foot pocket designed to take different blades - the OPS blade is used by Cousteau's Ocean Futures Society divers - almost a Free Diving blade)

Non-scuba fins:
Foils (split fin)
Float Tube (these a soft and angled - people will buy these mistaking them for originals/pros and then wonder why they won't work for scuba)
Slim Fins & Swim Fins (these are narrower/softer versions of the originals intended for exercise)
Rip Force (short, stiff blade with whiskers or speed pods - originally designed for search and rescue but loved by boogie boarders - makes a great snorkel fin or even for diving in benign conditions)

I know there are some more - but they do not come to mind right now.

So now you know why I asked what is meant by "these" when you ask about kicking technique - different fins may require a slightly different technique. In most cases, kicking from the hip with a relaxed leg works for flutter kicks with all - but that is the technique that works best with most fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom