Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did our certs this weekend in Monterey @ breakwater. Is that the norm for visibility there? I think it was maybe 5-8 feet or so.

893110_10151482787406912_1437829985_o.jpg

Monterey Dive Conditions

My Sister and I dove over at Eric's Pinnacle andMcAbee Pinnacle this weekend off the beachhopper, and both places were between 3-5 ft vis. A few times I almost lost my buddy and we had to use our flashlights to find each other. Water temp was 53F at 60ft in both places. As beginners ourselves (dives #7-8), it was a little scary, but we worked a better system on dive #2, and stuck closer together (within an arm's length). We both got cold and wet, saw a few things we have never seen before, and had a good time despite the conditions.

374501_10151578771009783_47191968_n.jpg8900_10151578771429783_803806624_n.jpg

Last edited:
We did our certs this weekend in Monterey @ breakwater. Is that the norm for visibility there? I think it was maybe 5-8 feet or so.
Krisrice, Congratulations on getting certified and welcome.
Breakwater is a roll of the dice. I have been there when it was 1/2 what we had this last weekend and I have been there when it was 30'. The best vis usually happens from Halloween/ Thanksgiving to about the middle of January/ begining of Feb. but I have learned you never know till you get there.

Hi Kris:

It depends on the time of the year. The fall and winter seasons usually have better visibility. It is always pea soup green in summer. I've been at the Breakwater, Otter Cove or Coral Street where visibility has easily exceeded 40-50 feet. Here's a short video at the end of the Breakwater. When it's good it really is good.

[video=youtube_share;_NVjSj6x1y4]http://youtu.be/_NVjSj6x1y4[/video]

Pt. Lobos today. 40' and 47 deg outside of the cove mouth at a depth of about 40'. Very calm conditions.

Lobos and Monastery were glass today. The water in whalers was so still seaweed litter was suspended motionless in the water and a layer of algae was just frozen at about 5 ft. Conditions were so awesome you could swim between whalers and Blue Fin thru the rocks. There were no waves, current, or surge to speak of. In fact, while we were between the coves, we found a giant pacific octopus in its den. Temp was 45-46. Viz was 50+. The shallows was 25+, where I found a leopard shark

Last edited:
I think everyone is hooked so now to get some gear of our own so as not to get chilled. Then we'll have to try it out this winter.

Monday:
N wind 5 to 9 kt becoming NW in the afternoon. Partly sunny. Mixed swell...WNW 3 ft at 8 seconds and SW 2 ft at 16 seconds. Wind waves around 1 ft.

WNW at 3' looks good but what does the 8 seconds and SW 2' do to the dive condition

Monday:
N wind 5 to 9 kt becoming NW in the afternoon. Partly sunny. Mixed swell...WNW 3 ft at 8 seconds and SW 2 ft at 16 seconds. Wind waves around 1 ft.

WNW at 3' looks good but what does the 8 seconds and SW 2' do to the dive condition

At least refer to Monterey Sea Conditions at a Glance

And on that same page Chuck has two docs there to help you understand the swells and seconds. Good reading.

Monterey Bay Sea Conditions - Some Examples
and http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/swell/UPSSwell.pdf

I am wishing I was there for Monday afternoon and Tuesday!

It was very calm in the Monterey. Unfortunately, that was the only highlight. Monastery South was divable but I'm tired of crawling. North Monastery looked atrocious, although I did see a large group go in. Headed over to the Breakwater instead. Had a very long dive in what you would call Turkey Gravy or Au Jus. Yeah, it was worse than pea soup. I only saw a but handful of those miniature flounders in the shallows and one lonely Ling Cod.

Visibility = 5-10 Feet (10 feet being generous)
Surge = None
Temperature = 50F
Surf = None

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom