Question Thorfinn status? - Chuuk Lagoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gplerma

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wish to go on a liveaboard diving excursion in Chuuk Lagoon this spring or summer, but am not able to find many options.

I keep noticing the SS Thorfinn in Chuuk Lagoon advertised with much lower costs than the other liveaboards. Can anyone provide an updated review from say, the last year? March 2023 - March 2024.

I cannot find any recent reviews later than 2019 but the ones i did find awhile back seemed to have mixed comments. I'm not worried about staying on an old boat, but the -- rumors -- / reports about roaches :eek: :oops: and general unhygienic conditions are very worrying. That's a line I don't cross.

Reference: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g311328-d14067629-r902733216-SS_Thorfinn-Chuuk.html

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
George

@gplerma

The Thorfinn either can't move or doesn't move. It's been in a constant state of disrepair for years.

This is why it's (much) cheaper than other LoBs. Some people like the "character" of the old boat, some don't.

If you really want to go - try land-based. The wrecks are not far away, Blue Lagoon Resort runs a good shop, the hotel is clean, and you're not stuck on old rust bucket for a week.

One thing most people don't realize - if you're tec diving, you only will do 2 dives a day on the deeper wrecks, regardless of if you're on a LoB or land-based. The hotel grounds are nicer to walk around than the deck of the Thorfinn for surface intervals as well.

Having said this, I first dove the wrecks in Chuuk in 1983, and have been back serveral times. The wrecks are detiorating (due to age, time, etc.) so if you want to go, go soon - because the conditions won't ever improve.

@gplerma

The Thorfinn either can't move or doesn't move. It's been in a constant state of disrepair for years.

This is why it's (much) cheaper than other LoBs. Some people like the "character" of the old boat, some don't.

If you really want to go - try land-based. The wrecks are not far away, Blue Lagoon Resort runs a good shop, the hotel is clean, and you're not stuck on old rust bucket for a week.

One thing most people don't realize - if you're tec diving, you only will do 2 dives a day on the deeper wrecks, regardless of if you're on a LoB or land-based. The hotel grounds are nicer to walk around than the deck of the Thorfinn for surface intervals as well.

Having said this, I first dove the wrecks in Chuuk in 1983, and have been back serveral times. The wrecks are detiorating (due to age, time, etc.) so if you want to go, go soon - because the conditions won't ever improve.
Thanks! - Good advice. I'm booked for Blue Lagoon! :) - I agree, this is a "go now" moment for me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom