Chuuk/Truk on the SS Thorfinn in two weeks -- Any Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm.... **** = c d n n (without spaces) I'm not sure why it keeps changing.

Hi there! diving in Truk Lagoon was fantastic some say its the diver's haven. Anyways, Thorfinn can fill up to 22 guest diver onboard. You can post your question here about Thorfinn however i couldnt answer some "Diving Questions". :) i have worked there for about 3 mons. :)

I'm from the same side of the word. The SS Thorfinn is back with new paint and general rehab. You will have a great time the seas here are real calm now. Water temp 84F vis 100 ft++. Just don't be a uptight houle and ruin it for everyone else onboard.

Dale still on a little rock in the Pacific with my toes in the sand.

We have done a lot of group travel over 24 years. And our group JUST got back last month from the Thorfin.
They totally hated it. I never would like to write a negative review, and most our trips go really great...but all 16 said they would never ever go on Thorfin again. Ever.
They said the Capt. was totally cheap and because of that in part, that above all the A/C did not work in most the cabins and they could not sleep because it was so hot.
They loved the crew! Just not the Capt. Food was good enough.
They said they had to go on deck to try to sleep.
Some of the dives at night were not safe, which I personally think is not just the Capt's fault, but their choice to do it.
I do know this. I have lead over 70 group trips in 24 years, and no matter how good the diving is, on a live aboard, if the A/C is not working good (and seems it could have if the Capt. had wanted it to!) nothing else is going to matter!

I'd be totally ticked! These trips are not cheap by any means. Most of us plan and save a year or more out to make these journeys. The problem is you are just there for a week and then move on so the next group can suffer. What surprises me is that conditions on the Thorfinn have been known for years. Why did you book the Thorfinn vice the Odyssea? Sorry your living conditions sucked but at least it went away when you were on the wrecks.

I'd be totally ticked! These trips are not cheap by any means. Most of us plan and save a year or more out to make these journeys. The problem is you are just there for a week and then move on so the next group can suffer. What surprises me is that conditions on the Thorfinn have been known for years. Why did you book the Thorfinn vice the Odyssea? Sorry your living conditions sucked but at least it went away when you were on the wrecks.
The following I have witnessed personally on Thorfinn:- No O2 clean equipment although partial pressure is used for blending. Captain Lance will claim because he belives O2 cleaning is a scam to make more money from dive operators.- Tanks not tested in at least 10 years as he claims its too expensive.- Compressor cartridges do not match the canisters so there is no seal and the air simply bypasses the filters. Smelly air as a result. Air intake for the compressor inside the hold.- Diveguides diving to 45 metres without fins because they forgot them. Without alternate source, smb and in some cases without computer as the captain refuses to assist them on this matter.This is just the tip of the iceberg! There are far more issues on that boat. So beware and choose someone else to dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom