Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

North monastery was deceptive yesterday, there were a good deal of medium sized waves continual throughout the day with the occasional monster set plowing through. Ones you got past them it was not to bad, maybe a touch rocky. Visibility surprised us though, near the canyon it was around 20, but the kelp forest was 30s to 40. A few of our group walked out, but it definitely was a crawling day.

Ill give a slighly conflicting report of Monastery North, Conditions were rough to get in and once on the surface the swell was bad, underwater though it was cold and beautiful. Vis in the kelp forest 30ft easy. At the canyon 50+ feet blue water easy, but very cold. My dive computer read 45deg. nothing quite like looking up at 80ft and seeing the surface.

Definately some upwelling. Blue both at North Monastery and Butterfly house. Quite surgy, vis was about 40 at North Monastery 90 max depth and Butterfly House had better vis about 50 plus.
48-49 degrees f cold.

Dove Pt Lobos today (1st dive starting roughly near Hole in the Wall, 2nd on Middle Reef) - not its best day. Vis 10-12', water temp 47 F, intermittent surge although nothing too big.

Still, it beats not diving at all, & hey we saw a pair of dolphins in the cove during our surface interval - hadn't seen them that far in the cove before.

Forewarned is forearmed, eh?

With dshorwich's report in mind & expectations adjusted accordingly, my buddy and I had a very pleasant, chilly, and murky dive at Lobos today.

It was sunny when we arrived and the water was glassy with a minor swell. The kelp has grown noticably since my March 17'th dive but is still easy to navigate. We swam out on the surface 'till even with the second set of rocks and as we neared the bottom in about 35 feet of water I noticed the visibility increase from 5-10' to about 15'. By the time we reached hole in the wall it may have been a little better---good enough to maintain buddy contact, but nothing to brag about. My computer logged 45F but runs 3 to 5 degrees cool.

When we surfaced 45 minutes later a cold wind had kicked up and a couple of levels of clouds were competing to hide the sun. The surface was choppy and the swell had increased a bit. My wetsuit clad buddy was chilled and it had been too nice a dive to spoil with an uncomfortable second, so we motored back to the sunny bay area content.

Breakwater wall had 5-7ft vis and green. I was working on macro and had a great dive. I like the 50ft vis Mubin and I had Monday better. I say we pass a law that says vis has to always be 50ft or better. Think it would get many votes?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73739720@N00/
This says it all.

Last edited:
Today was a walk-in, no-snorkel, no fins entry at Monastery Beach today. No wind, no chop, lake-like.
Pea green soupy 10ft viz with balmy 50F temps but a complete and total blast. The sun even came out on our way back in.

We did a dive to the edge of the canyon, 75ft max depth. The vis stayed the same all the way down.

Saturday 30 March: Lobos, zero swell or surge (really. Zeeero!) vis was amazingly good inside the cove - maybe 20' at the base of the ramp. Outside, it got worse the further out you went. About 25' at Q-tip.

Sunday 31 March: Lobos, again no swell or surge, again vis better inside the cove. Single-digit vis at Three Sisters & Betos.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom