Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two dives at Lovers #1 this morning. First was ~8:00 a.m. Surge and wind waves were pretty strong and vis was about 10 ft. On our way back in, we heard a large boat that went right over the top of us. When we surfaced, we saw that it was sanctuary anchored right in the cove. I have never seen a dive boat anchored so close to the beach before :confused:Second dive was around 11:00. The wind completely died and so did its accompanying waves. Surge also decreased a bit. The sun was out and it was a nice day to be in the water. Water temp was ~50 degrees at depth according to my gauges. Hopefully this swell will continue to lay-down this week as forecasted!

Dove Del Monte pier yesterday with Mubin. Vis was about 20ft which is good for there especially shooting macro. Had a great dive. Monastery looked doable but we didn't feel like working that hard.

Dove Del Monte pier yesterday with Mubin. Vis was about 20ft which is good for there especially shooting macro. Had a great dive. Monastery looked doable but we didn't feel like working that hard.
IMAG1130.jpg
Topside view of the dive site. Vis was enough for the kind of diving we did, light, magnifying glass and macro lens.

Went out to Seamount with a student on Tuesday and had smoky blue visibility of 40'. Went over to Granite Point Wall for second dive as the tide was flowing out and had 20'-30' visibility. Tuesday was a very nice day at Lobos.

Bruce

Dove Del Monte pier again today and had 5-10ft vis. Still a nice dive. Did second dive at break water and had 10-15.

Had a great dive at Point Lobos this morning. The surface was glassy with some wind waves and a swell, but the surge at depth was minimal. The visibility was 30 feet or better once we got into water deeper than 40 feet. The water was chilly, I suppose. I was comfy in my drysuit but my computer said it was 46F, my thermometer 51F and my buddies computer 49F---take your pick.

We found the back side of Hole In The Wall before turning around & working our way back in the sand, ending our dive with a leopard shark encounter. There was a lot of krill in the water and the kelp is growing again.

correction: checking my computer just now to log the dive it's saying 44 (46 & 51 were what I remember it saying early in the dive) and my buddy is now reporting 47F.

Last edited:
<snip>

The water was chilly, I suppose. I was comfy in my drysuit but my computer said it was 46F, my thermometer 51F and my buddies computer 49F---take your pick.

<snip>

That's EASY! You always pick the lowest reading instrument. Bragging rights and all that. ;-)

I hear you, but it's troubling to have two other buddies with the same computer consistently reporting temps 5F higher than my mine.

Ditto 3D diver's report, except no Leopard shark encounters. Did see several large schools of Blue Rockfish. In the cove vis was .... well lets just say it was good enough for practice drills. As for the temp. Aladin Sport avg. 48, and Veo 100 53 (that one always reads higher than buddy's). Definitely felt below 50.

Another report coming in about 12 hours :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom