Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove the breakwater today. The surface was glassy with small surf (and surge at depth). It sounds like it has moderated compared with the reports in Ben's thread yesterday. We easily walked in and out, fin's off. The vis was poor, but we were expecting that---5' to 10' (maybe a little better at times). Generally green water with particulate matter. My computer logged it at 50F (and is usually 3 to 5 degrees cool compared to other Veo100's).

It was a fun dive, but I couldn't quite get enthusiastic enough for a second, so we called it a day. There was an otter nearby as we were kicking out, and we got buzzed by a harbor seal.

Yesterday was not a day to go diving:
13.jpg

Notice the foam leftover on the beach. We had a stranded harbor seal pup on the beach near Monterey Bay Aquarium as well. The Marine Mammal Center stopped over to check the little guy out.
It was a nice 45 degree tilt walk back to my car.

Yikes! Looks like we got lucky Sunday.

Dive team 3D reporting:

Took the day off from work & headed down to Point Lobos. We arrived at 8am to a glassy surface with a substantial, but dive-able, swell. There are harbor seals and pups on shore and in the water. The kelp is getting pretty thick so we dropped sooner than a few weeks ago along the rocks between Whaler's and Bluefish. The water is blue again, not green, and the horizontal viz was 15 to 20 feet (maybe better, could see the surface most of the dive, max depth 45feet console gauge, 50feet computer log). It was surgy and the water temperature readings were: my computer 44F, my console thermometer 50F, my buddies computer 48.

Sat, 4/13, Lobos: Surprisingly settled surface, despite some rollers coming through. Inside the cove was dark. Outside was bright and clear. Circled Three Sisters, had 70' viz in spots. A finger-numbing 46 degrees.

got to break water yesterday about 6pm saw surf breaking over wall called class cancelled boat bounced all night went back at 730am it was flat sunny with very little viz even so its nice just to be in Monterrey

Breakwater around 1230p today. Saw a pair of divers in the water besides myself. Crappy viz all the way through and through. ~5' in shallow and opened up to maybe 8' on the wall where the bottom was 40-45'. But it was cloudy as all heck. Could see shapes but details sucked but could've worked nicely for macro photography. Half the time I was squinting trying to figure out why things were so blurry until they got close. Forgot to check temp, but felt like 50-52*. Not much surge/swell action @ depth.

Viz is supposedly supposed to get good due to the upwelling, particularly in carmel bay. Anyone planning on going out this weekend?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom