Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breakwall was 2' at the wall below 25', 5' above. Thermocline at 25' Temp 50 above 47 below. Away from the wall was better 5' at Middle Reef and 7' at the pipes.

Looked like the sand was moving. Lots of tiny (size of my little fingernail) crabs, with an equal number of little sand holes. Even found a very well camouflaged Cabazon. It was a great day to show buddies about moving slowly. Their SAC rates showed how well they paid attention :D. We will try Stillwater tomorrow...

Conditions at Breakwater today were even worse than yesterday, but the plus side of zero visibility is that it can only get better from here on out :)

Stillwater on Sunday (yesterday) a good 20+, little surge, and a comfortable (if you are a Polar Bear) 47 F. Thank you for dry gloves! Seals and pups in the distance - one pair of divers even got chased out of the water (they were swimming out from the pier) - and even a pod of dolphins playing in the center of the cove.

All in all a good day.

:D I just need a small mount/dismountable motor for my inflatable :D

There's been pretty much no wind in Santa Cruz and Monterey for the past 3 days. High 70's air temps in the midday. Ocean's been calm too. I looked at Lover's today while walking back from work; no surfers or swell in the afternoon. So I think in the next few weeks, the conditions will be getting back to normal. Hopefully the bloom will crash violently and we'll get crystal clear for a few days.

Lobos had 45ft viz at hole in the wall, maybe a green 15 in the cove. Temp was a very balmy 46 degrees by my two instruments. Little surge in the shallows. Top side temps were sunny and pleasant around 60ish with light winds. Beautiful to see the tiny harbor seal pups on the beach.

Breakwater has better than last week. Vis was a green 5-15 depending where one happened to be at any given moment. It seemed best from 35ft to 25ft of depth well around the bend. Several Lings out and about as well as lots of Nudies. Temp was 48 and 49 by my two instruments. Lets hope it keeps clearing up.
A friend dove Monastery yesterday and said it was "Very nice". Thats all I know, though I was at the beach and one could walk in and out with ease and the water was blue. Safe diving!

---------- Post added April 25th, 2013 at 03:07 PM ----------

Lobos this morning was mostly sunny with a few bits of fog around. Air temp was pleasant, low 60s? Not windy, and the water was calm. Vis was very nice. Little green in the cove, but could see the bottom well. Opened up to 55ish around HITW. Temp was high 40s. Talked to some folks that went out to the pinnacle. They reported 100ft vis with 43 degrees...

Butterfly house had approximately 25-30 ft viz today and was extremely calm, for our second dive we dove just south of coral st at a place called the boneyard by a local surfer. I would estimate 20-25 ft viz there and as calm as I have ever seen it at that location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom