Two days in Monterey with a non-diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guille G

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello folks! I'm visiting Monterey for the first time this weekend and will be there on Friday and Saturday with my wife. We live in San Francisco, moved here a few months ago. While this is a non-diving visit, it is also a bit of "reconnaissance" for future diving weekends - and the more my lovely wife likes Monterey, the easiest it will be for me to head down and get some dives in frequently with her tagging along.

So, do you have any recommendations for a quick "get to know Monterey" trip? Restaurants, shops, parks, all tips are welcome!

I'd recommend getting the yearly pass ($100) for the Aquarium as opposed to the daily ticket ($60). If you are going to be a repeat visitor, there is apparently enough to see there that you can split it up across several weekends.

Point Lobos -- easily the most beautiful park on the CA coast, with spectacular diving opportunities, out of Whaler's Cove (and extensive hiking trails for those who "just don't do wet") in neighboring Carmel . . .

There is a lot to do, I spent a number of weekends down there before diving.

Just down the road the Carmel Valley is gorgeous (and warm when Monterey is not). Tons of great restaurants and wineries, though pricey. Carmel Valley Ranch, e.g.

There are whale-watching cruises from Monterey in season. Jazz festival, wine festival, others.

Carmel has a ton of art galleries, wine tasting, antiques, and one of the best cheese shops on the west coast. Both the mission there and San Juan Bautista to the north are definitely worth a look.

The Pebble Beach restaurants are very expensive but they have great views.

Carmel is a bit more upscale, picturesque & romantic than Monterey. Me & the non-diving wife visit often to take our dogs to the dog-friendly beach there. Lots of great restaurants in Carmel. A bit pricey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom