closest place where the diving is warm(er)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck, have you done a Caribbean liveaboard? If so, how does this compare?

4 hour drive from Phoenix... not bad!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Close to California. Cabo Pulmo which is on the inside edge of Cabo. Do a search..

And there's a shuttle - about $200 R/T from the Phoenix airport directly to the boat.
Head Out To Rocky Point - Your full Service Charter & Shuttle Service to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco), Mexico on the Sea of Cortez!

---------- Post added ----------

where could i go on say a long weekend for some pleasant diving?
San Carlos, MX is warm (80+) in the summer thru about mid-October. You can fly into Guaymas on USAirways and cab over. About a $700 flight in June. Many dive groups stay at the Best Western Tetakawi in town (cheaper) or MarinaTerra Resort. Behind MarinaTerra is the harbor the dive boats leave from - you can walk over with gear. There's also several restaurants/bars nearby so you don't need a car - except you'd need to set up your diving once with a shop in town. There's about 3-4 dive operators in town - many affiliated with shops in Tucson or Phoenix. http://www.sancarlosmexico.com/diving.html

Most divetrips go to Seal Island - about an hour offshore - there's a Sea Lion colony (leave your snorkel off your mask), Cortez Angelfish, Puffers, Stingrays, maybe an Octopus etc. It's a harder substrate but there are some small corals also. There's a submarine canyon south of the island so bigger stuff is sometimes seen. When you ride out there's often dolphins riding the bow wave. It's shallow, usually low current diving near the island, up close it's 10-20' or less then gradually drops to about 80'+. They often do cert dives there.

You might also check with El Mar Diving here in Mesa - they have a $499 trip that includes 3 nts. hotel, dinner, 2 days of 2 tank boat dives and the bus ride. Next one is July 19-22nd. http://www.elmar.com/sancarlos.php

From SFO to PHX flights are about $300/2 hrs - there's a lot of them daily - El Mar would be a $25ish cab ride from the airport.

Last edited:
Chuck, have you done a Caribbean liveaboard? If so, how does this compare?

I've done four weeks on Caribbean liveaboards and this was as good. Also as good as Kona. Not as good as Fiji (five weeks, going back next year (Linda won a trip)) or Australia (two weeks).

And if I recall correctly, the shuttle was $100.

I posted pictures from the trip: http://chucktribolet.smugmug.com/Underwater/Sea-of-Cortez-2011/

Chuck

And if I recall correctly, the shuttle was $100.
It is for 6 or more.
You and your friends can ride in the saftey and comfort of our two, fifteen passenger Chevy vans. Rates start at $190.00 per person,(based on two)round trip. One-way and solo travelers based on availability. One-way rate is $100.00. Groups of six or more, just $100.00 per person, round trip. "Group" refers to the number of people in your party.

It is for 6 or more.

I believe they treat everybody for Roccio del Mar as one group. There were the two of us, but almost all of the rest of the van was was Roccio del Mar.

BTW, the boat holds 20, but there were only 11 divers on our trip. All 11 were on the van, and going down there was one couple going to some resort.

hi all,

i'm a new diver from the south bay. i find montterey very, very cold, and am wonder the closest (or most accessible or cheapest) place from this area where the water temperature is significantly nicer (greater visibility and marine life is also a plus).

in the future i may have the time and funds to take trips to the great dive sites of the world, but for now, where could i go on say a long weekend for some pleasant diving?

We drove in one day to San Diego and spent the night at a motel 6...the next day we drove to San Quentin and spent the night at a great motel...then we drove to Santa Roselia where we stayed at a great place recommended by AAA ...that night we sipped Margarita's on the balconey and watched the dolphins jump in the 85 degree water of the sea of cortez...the next morning we arrived in Loreto where we spent the next 5 days doing some of the best diving in our lives around the coronado islands before driving home...it amazed us that we had such a treasure so close to us..

Back
Top Bottom