Places to be left alone while diving warm water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It's the middle of winter and I don't think it's been above freezing outside in days here! Strangely enough, that turns one's thoughts to warm tropical waters and possible future destintions.

Where are the best places to go for warm water diving where you can just rent gear and go solo dive off the shore without a guide or a boat? Bonus if they are also good for snorkeling.

Looking mostly US west coast (so probably San Diego), but are there other options?

Or East coast, South Florida has great beach diving, including the famous Blue Heron Bridge which also has easy snorkeling. Very shallow so good buoyancy is key

I'm sure there are places, but I'm not terribly familiar with West Coast diving.
What you described is Bonaire.
Rent gear and go dive, unlimited amount, wherever and whenever you want.

Only one catch with Bonaire. I’m not sure anyone will rent you a pony without a Solo/Self Reliant cert. @scubadada may be able to address that better.

Erik

Or East coast, South Florida has great beach diving, including the famous Blue Heron Bridge which also has easy snorkeling. Very shallow so good buoyancy is key
BHB is a great dive. Only somewhat downside is that it is a once-a-day, tide-dependent dive. Are there good shore dives around SE Florida that are not tide-dependent?

Edit: There's always Bonaire and Curacao, and slightly closer (maybe) USVI St. Croix, if OP wants/needs to stick with U.S. territory.

Only one catch with Bonaire. I’m not sure anyone will rent you a pony without a Solo/Self Reliant cert. @scubadada may be able to address that better.

Erik
I do have SDI Solo since 2013. I do not dive with a pony in Bonaire, I'm bad.

Hour and a half on Bari Reef
1701306261034.png

I guess you could get two 80s and make one a pony...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom