Places to be left alone while diving warm water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, I thought you did a pony from Dive Friends.
My point was more that @Cthippo , I believe, usually uses a pony but is not certified, so it would be difficult to rent one.
Hey Chris...... as others have mentioned I'm thinking that Bonaire would be an awesome trip for you and check all of your boxes......other than West Coast of USA!!

If you do happen to choose Bonaire I'd suggest staying at a dedicated dive op / resort like Buddy's or Captain Dons. Either of them can handle everything for you as a one stop shop. You can get unlimited shore diving "drive and dive" packages with a small truck rental, unlimited Nitrox (32)...etc. Both have full rental departments if you don't want to haul gear. You could also add in some boat dives with either of those ops. And, I would HIGHLY recommend at least one day with East Coast Divers.....guarantee you won't regret it!

As far as redundancy for solo goes, if you do decide to haul gear....... you can bring along a pony and transfill whip to eliminate any concerns about renting / filling. I dive a backmount pony with the Quickdraw mounting system which makes it simple to swap out main tanks. For Bonaire, since all of my diving is basically inside my self imposed MOD of 100ft, I bring my 13CF AL pony. Knowing that you are tolerant regarding water temps I think you'll be totally fine in just a rash guard top and board shorts...... That's what I use in Bon.

Last but not least..... you might also consider making a Bonaire trip an opportunity to complete the SDI Solo cert. Could not be any easier. I did mine at the SDI / TDS center at Captain Don's with Brian. Highly recommend.... Check out post No. 70 in the thread below for more details. Takes just one day of your trip and two dives as long as you've already completed all the academics ahead of time........and the dives are great dives! Included in the course, Brian will set you up with a sidemount / slung 40cf and reg-set and you'll get your actual solo card printed and issued same day once you've passed.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
Totally true....... but asking permission is usually free and asking for forgiveness sometimes includes a fine!

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
It's easier, but perhaps not as functional.
The last time I tried to shore dive there the WVDNR officer stopped me.
If you've been able to do it, good for you.
How much is the fine, out of curiosity?

.... thoughts to warm tropical waters and possible future destintions.

Where are the best places to go for warm water diving .......

Looking mostly US west coast (so probably San Diego), but are there other options?
Um......I guess that depends on your idea of "warm water"....LOL

Sounds like it's time to go dry and be truly comfortable. Anything needing a 5+ is dry imo.

Wimp, no. Better at understanding how water zaps the heat from you, yes.
The wimp statement isn't directed towards divers, it's more of a generalization of Florida residents. For example, it was a beautiful 75 degrees outside the other day with a cozy warm direct sunlight and people were wearing jackets. For me, it was still a day to wear a t-shirt and shorts.

The wimp statement isn't directed towards divers, it's more of a generalization of Florida residents. For example, it was a beautiful 75 degrees outside the other day with a cozy warm direct sunlight and people were wearing jackets. For me, it was still a day to wear a t-shirt and shorts.
That's a perfect summer day for me. Shorts and flip flops. Unfortunately 90s are more common and 100s aren't unheard of here in the Seattle area anymore... I left the east coast with plans to never return to the hot and humid silliness they call "summer".

That's a perfect summer day for me. Shorts and flip flops. Unfortunately 90s are more common and 100s aren't unheard of here in the Seattle area anymore... I left the east coast with plans to never return to the hot and humid silliness they call "summer".
Exactly... :)

How 'bout a week at SCUBA-Camp, aka CoCoView resort on Roatan, Bay Islands? Unlimited shore diving, including night dives; soul filling grub, served cafeteria style, and morning/afternoon boat dives if so inclined.

Bye-bye winter blahs.

Option #2, is load up the Baja-Buggy and head south the the Sea of Cortez in Mexico, Bring back tales of avoiding the cartels as an added bonus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom