closest place where the diving is warm(er)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bay area flights to Ft Lauderdale tend to be cheap (<300). There is some OK shore diving around Palm beach and late summer diving with sharks and goliath grouper out of nearby Jupiter, FL. Rental car down to key largo an option as well.

I haven't done this trip myself yet but it is on my list of quick, cheap trips to do when I get a chance

Even though I have no experience with west coast dive locations, I do with cold water dives.

I believe that there is no need to go on a dive vacation to escape to cold when you can buy a drysuit for the same price (or cheaper) and dive locally. If you are on a budget I would suggest the Scubapro Everdry 4 which only costs $1000. Only a thin undergarment is needed ($125)because of its neoprene design. With a total cost of a little over $1100 you can stay warm and cozy in 48 degree water (I know because of personal experience). With a thin layer of under armor material you will be fine in 60 degree water. I don't know how cold the water is in your area, but a drysuit should solve all of your cold issues.

Buying a drysuit for the price of a vacation will be very cost effective. You only have to spend the money once and can dive very often locally while still being warm. If you do not have a restricted budget then there are more expensive drysuits such as DUI's. Good luck in finding a solution to your problems.

Even though I have no experience with west coast dive locations, I do with cold water dives.

I believe that there is no need to go on a dive vacation to escape to cold when you can buy a drysuit for the same price (or cheaper) and dive locally. If you are on a budget I would suggest the Scubapro Everdry 4 which only costs $1000. Only a thin undergarment is needed ($125)because of its neoprene design. With a total cost of a little over $1100 you can stay warm and cozy in 48 degree water (I know because of personal experience). With a thin layer of under armor material you will be fine in 60 degree water. I don't know how cold the water is in your area, but a drysuit should solve all of your cold issues.

Buying a drysuit for the price of a vacation will be very cost effective. You only have to spend the money once and can dive very often locally while still being warm. If you do not have a restricted budget then there are more expensive drysuits such as DUI's. Good luck in finding a solution to your problems.

That's a good point.
Warmth alone isn't the only consideration for most. Yes, the drysuit greatly improves how cold I get/stay on a dive locally but with the extra lead, hood, pee valves, leaks storage and maintenace etc. it is very different from warm water diving wearing just a pair of trunks or a thin shorty, no hood and having very little lead on you.

I dive local cold waters all the time and enjoy both wet and dry (prefer wet in most cases), but I also look forward to and savor warm water trips. Opinons will vary, but the difference in comfort between wet and dry for me is not great enough for me to forego a warm water trip.

PS. I have a very nice drysuit that I will gladly exchange for RT air tickets to Bonaire :wink:

Now that you mention Bonaire I can give some more insight. I was just there a couple of moths ago with my LDS and the trip was relatively cheap. I think that if you take the Red Eye flight and stay at Buddy Dive Resort (one of, if not, the best diver orientated resorts on Bonaire IMHO) it works out at about 1,600 dollars per person with 6 boat dives. And the nitrox upgrade is free, and with unlimited shore dives you can add as many dives as you want with no extra charge. Bonaire is a great choice to escape cold waters and the diving is exceptional while also being cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom