Where to dive in September and October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm planning for the same time.
Here are some of the candidates on my list:
Halmahera
Alor
Maratua
Egypt
Banda Sea( might be expensive )
PNG( definitely expensive )

Given how easy the Philippines is to get to for you, is why I suggested it. My diving there has been in Puerto Galera and Dumaguete. Months of April, October and November. September is still good, although to your point, Tubbataha is not in your window. It is a small one in the spring and early summer (US spring/Summer).

I will be going back to Puerto Galera again this October/November. I love the diving there. There are a few other places I am considering, but I just find Puerto Galera to be good, consistent diving, super inexpensive, easy to get to and my topside experiences have also been outstanding.

I am going to take another couple of weeks to check out other places this November. Namely Palawan (Coron, El Nido) and probably Panglao. Puerto Galera will be all about the diving. The other locals will be a bit more topside stuff, touring, snorkeling, etc. and seeing how the diving differs, compares.
Where do you stay/dive at Puerto Galera? We were very impressed with the diving there, and with Scandi Divers. But I don't want to do what we always do - the same thing over and over! So I'd love to hear if there are other places you have also stayed and how they compare to Scandi (if you've stayed there). I'll do a search on your trip reports too.

Where do you stay/dive at Puerto Galera? We were very impressed with the diving there, and with Scandi Divers. But I don't want to do what we always do - the same thing over and over! So I'd love to hear if there are other places you have also stayed and how they compare to Scandi (if you've stayed there). I'll do a search on your trip reports too.
We like to stay at El Galleon and dive with the in site op Asia Divers. Only op with it’s on pier for getting on and off the boat. The restaurant at El Galleon is outstanding. Check my trip reports. I have two of them that describe El Galleon. I’ll be going back again this October.

Also take a look at Bluewater Dive Travel website. They have a good description of El Galleon and I have used them for booking everything. They are awesome and actually a bit cheaper than booking directly.

We like to stay at El Galleon and dive with the in site op Asia Divers. Only op with it’s on pier for getting on and off the boat. The restaurant at El Galleon is outstanding. Check my trip reports. I have two of them that describe El Galleon. I’ll be going back again this October.

Also take a look at Bluewater Dive Travel website. They have a good description of El Galleon and I have used them for booking everything. They are awesome and actually a bit cheaper than booking directly.
Now - of course - I feel like I have a 'loyalty' to Scandi. They really were great!

Do the Asia Divers use regular boats - do you do a giant stride or do you roll in backward? I looked at their website but haven't gotten as far as Bluewater Travel, though we have looked at them before.

Have any helpful hints regarding getting over jet lag? :wink:

Have you considered Maldives? Some great liveaboards, not too expensive and all round great diving.

So I chose Raja Ampat again. LOL About 40 days to travel around, so I'm pretty stoked.

I have an opening in my schedule in September/October for a month and am looking on where to go dive. I can go anywhere in the world, but am limited to flights out of Hawai'i - I can get to Honolulu for more flight options, but it's pretty limiting having Kona as my home base. I'm at a complete loss about making a decision for this trip and would like insight from other people.

Priorities are:

Great, healthy coral
No crowds
Good divers who know how to control buoyancy and protect the reef
Large variety of aquatic life - big and little (whales and sharks to shrimp)
Not particularly expensive
Warm water

I'm a DM and more difficult conditions aren't a concern.

Places I've already been - but that doesn't mean I won't go back to one if it's ideal in September:

Fiji
Egypt (twice)
Northern Sudan
Galapagos
Raja Ampat
Cenderawasih Bay
Cozumel
Roatan
Costa Rica
Philippines
Mozambique

I thank you, in advance, for any advice you can give me.
My pick would be Caye Caulker, Belize. The reef dives I’ve done there were alive and healthy, good aquatic life. Also dove the Great Blue Hole. The island itself is super chill and very laid back. I went for the first time last November and the water temps had me still diving in board shorts and a rash guard. Wasn’t even cold at max depth.
Tons of sea life. I dove with Scuba Sensation.
If you don’t want crowds let’s talk about an island that has no personal automobiles. Bicycles or golf carts only.

I’m actually headed back this July for 10 days. Can’t wait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom