Actual deaths involving suicide clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been waiting for your evaluation before trying these. Could you answer some question for me on this particular brand/model?

1. Can you tell if they are plated brass?
  2. Can you detect any oxidation on the pin?
  3. Is any part of it magnetic?

Thanks

Yeah, the final outcome, as I recall, was the the cool-aid club felt that standardization was more important than using the best item for the task. That was an outlook that I simple can not abide, believing as I do in using the best tool for the job. For example, I could not imagine using a bolt snap to secure an umbilical to my harness. This was my introduction to how Doing It Right had as much to do with conformity to a social norm as it did to sensible diving practices. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

After reading through that thread, I came to several conclusions:

* all of your comments were respectful, but curious and challenging
* some of the return commentary was respectful, but much was dismissive and disrespectful
* the disrespect was clearly extended beyond you to any type of diving not-their-own
* conformity and standardization is clearly considered more important than practicality - if the method doesn't fit the situation, why it must be the situation that is wrong!
* if that mindset is indeed prevalent, I suspect that many DIR divers are probably not as capable at adapting and reacting to unexpected situations as they may think - independent thought is discouraged, yet it is the most important ingredient in successful problem solving. What do you do when things go off-script?
* I now understand why I see so many comments about how DIR types don't play well with others

I fully recognize that my own diving experience is quite limited, and that I will likely never attain the experience, knowledge or proficiency levels of some of those I am now criticizing. HOWEVER. I believe that my observations as to attitudes and their impact are not unique to diving but are rather more universal.

I have been waiting for your evaluation before trying these. Could you answer some question for me on this particular brand/model?
  1. Can you tell if they are plated brass?
  2. Can you detect any oxidation on the pin?
  3. Is any part of it magnetic?
Thanks
They appear to be plated brass from the weight as well as the fact that after repeated use there appears to be no corrosion from salt water at the abrasion points.No oxidation on the pin.Don't have them with me right now to check if they are magnetic or not, but will check and report back tomorrow.The possible failure points I see are the spring, which looks like it could slip through the release sleeve (although I tried hard to make it slip through, and it did not)The spring also looks like it may corrode over time.The pin that hinges the jaws looks like it may come loose in time, but that may just be me looking at it with a hypercritical eye.For the price I think it's a great buy.

My DIR training absolutely emphasized independent thought.

I've done a total of one tethered blue-water dive, which I more or less hated, but I would have hated it even more if I'd have been tethered with a boltsnap or something that I would have had trouble releasing while under load. I think if you're pissed off enough, you can get a spin clip to release under any load.

Have a look at pages 75 – 78 of ‘South Australian Diving Fatalities 1950-2005’ downloadable from the following link - https://sites.google.com/site/cdiverepts/. Page 77 mentions the contribution of a ‘snap clip’ to a line entanglement that cost the lives of 2 divers.

On the same link is "A Brief History of South Australian Cave Diving" by Peter Horne. Page 34 of that .pdf shows the Police photos of the entanglement you mention. Line everywhere, some of it through a 'suicide clip'.

Back
Top Bottom