Are rebreathers safe to dive with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pipedope:
Is RB diving safe? No.
Then again Life ain't safe. You won't get out of it alive no matter what you do. :eyebrow:

You forgot the famous "YBOD" which started out as the "Yellow Box of Death" (a vituperative acronym from the infamous and ever poisonous GI3) but was re-named more accurately by Diver Mole as the "Yellow Box of DEBT"!!!! He's had one for years. Ya gotta love those Brits and their way with the language!

BigJetDriver69:
You forgot the famous "YBOD" ... was re-named more accurately by Diver Mole as the "Yellow Box of DEBT"!!!! He's had one for years. Ya gotta love those Brits and their way with the language!
Well, yeah, his ain't yellow no more. Not much YBOD left at all, other than the counterlungs, scrubber and some regs and hoses. I know the scrubber will be replaced soon, and he might have switched to differnt bags already.

Which means that he almost has enough original parts flying around his closet to put his original unit back together and still have and dive the modified one. :D

No wonder he's in debt. Look at it this way, he bought a CCR and is builing a second one from expensive parts. By the way, I'm not so sure if that's his language or his bankers. :wink:

caveseeker7:
Well, yeah, his ain't yellow no more. Not much YBOD left at all, other than the counterlungs, scrubber and some regs and hoses. I know the scrubber will be replaced soon, and he might have switched to different bags already.

Which means that he almost has enough original parts flying around his closet to put his original unit back together and still have and dive the modified one. :D

No wonder he's in debt. Look at it this way, he bought a CCR and is building a second one from expensive parts. By the way, I'm not so sure if that's his language or his bankers. :wink:

Stefan,

Thanks! I just snorted the Coke I was drinking all over my new Logitech MX keyboard because I was LMAO at your post!

I was thinking seriously about having someone paint my Expedition Inspiration case to look like a sea turtle. Then while I was chatting with Kevin Juergensen, he reminded me that turtles are the favorite food of Tiger Sharks, and that they are ambush predators! I have since been seriously re-thinking that idea!!!

As for the bankers, you know they don't have a sense of humour that anyone has been able to detect! :)

BJD

P.S.---You're not going to try to tell me with a straight face that your garage or workshop DOESN'T look like a Scuba Shop exploded in it, are you???

BigJetDriver69:
P.S.---You're not going to try to tell me with a straight face that your garage or workshop DOESN'T look like a Scuba Shop exploded in it, are you???

I don't know about his but I would love to back my big trailer up to Diver Dave's shop and 'clean things up' for him. :D

gehadoski:
Hi all

I heard from my friends that diving with rebreathers is not safe. But actually I doubt it caue organizations are offering certificates for rebeather. So I am alittle confused.

Also if there is any website that can provide me with more information about rebreather please tell me where it is.

A rebreather is a tool used to get a job completed. I own 2 units and have been trained on several others.

Like any type of more advanced diving, rebreathers require the user to obtain extensive education and experience on each unit.

I feel very safe in both my current units, many time I would say safer than in open water equipment.

I use the units mostly for deep exploration dives and wild animal and cave photography.

Curt Bowen
Publisher Advanced Diver Magazine
www.advanceddivermagazine.com

BigJetDriver69:
As for the bankers, you know they don't have a sense of humour that anyone has been able to detect! :)
Really? That's odd .... whenever I walk in they start cracking up ... :11:

You're not going to try to tell me with a straight face that your garage or workshop DOESN'T look like a Scuba Shop exploded in it, are you???
My garage just looks like something exploded. That's where all the files are.
The scuba gear is in the office. :D Gotta get the priorities straight.

pipedope:
I don't know about his but I would love to back my big trailer up to Diver Dave's shop and 'clean things up' for him. :D

--------------------------------------------------------

If you are talking about Dave Sutton's place---Imagine this scenario---a tractor-trailer rig backed up to the Lab of Diving Horrors---fog swirls around---sad violin music is playing in the background---Michael is heaving desparately at Franken-rig on its slab---when suddenly---someone shouts: "Werewolf!!" and---(wait for it)---"THERE WOLF!!!!!)

Michael sadly does not return to his hearth and home where two cats, two really LARGE cats, grieve-----over not being fed on demand!!!

------------------------------------------------------

Just a sad little footnote of a story from the pages of diving history!

caveseeker7:
Well, yeah, his ain't yellow no more. Not much YBOD left at all, other than the counterlungs, scrubber and some regs and hoses. I know the scrubber will be replaced soon, and he might have switched to differnt bags already.

No wonder he's in debt. Look at it this way, he bought a CCR and is builing a second one from expensive parts. By the way, I'm not so sure if that's his language or his bankers. :wink:

Yep, just the scrubber left, lungs went Neoprene.

Oh I still use the seamen Sub first stages as well!!!! but they keep blowing seals so they will go Posiedon soon. The scrubber is the ONLY bit nobody sells a replacement for (but works fine). I'd like the option of a longer duration one

Someone took some digital photos of me swanning around at 30m the other week on the Molespiration, must try and get some copies

Oh and to really finish the bank account off I had to buy a new Land Rover to transprt the whole lot around in :10: and discovered that its nearly as much fun modifying that as rebreathers :dazzler1:

madmole:
Yep, just the scrubber left, lungs went Neoprene.

... The scrubber is the ONLY bit nobody sells a replacement for ... I'd like the option of a longer duration one
Don't be sad, mole, someone's bound to make a scrubber for you sooner or later.

Oh and to really finish the bank account off I had to buy a new Land Rover to transprt the whole lot around in :10: and discovered that its nearly as much fun modifying that as rebreathers
That would be the discovery the car is named for. :D

Let me guess: neoprene seat covers, Dave Thompson build roof rack with off-board tank mounts, seat back and belts replaced with backplate and harness, Haskel pump mounted on the front bumper instead of a winch, wristmounted speedometer routed left, tachometer routed right, O2 tank for DAN's REMO delivery system mounted in the fire extinguisher bracket(after all, your HH has no batteries in the loop so you don't need one :wink: ), Bob Howell automatic tire inflation system, custom bend exhaust that you can dry your suit on, "Powered by Hammerhead" valve covers, bumper sticker "Scotland sucks", :dazzler1: ... did I miss anything?

Back
Top Bottom