STOLEN Dive Trailer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear about your bad luck
I hope you get your stuff back. I hate thieves!! If you catch em break their knees LOL

I'm currently building an "off-road adventure SCUBA support trailer" (pict attached). I designed it with a removable tongue, specifically to enhance security. While someone may break into it, and while someone may haul it away via one mechanism or another, I think that lack of a tongue (including the electrical hookup, which is also quick-disconnect) is a pretty good deterrent to keep someone from stealing the whole trailer. This can be an issue when you go out camping in the middle of nowhere and leave your rig behind while you go hiking or whatever.

FWIW - the trailer has welded on (quite securely, and well reinforced) two standard receiver hitches (in-line), about 24" apart. The removable tongue slides into both of these and is held in with two standard hitch pins. You could also put in two of those hitch pin lock things into those holes when the tongue is NOT attached, just to make it harder for someone to try to put their own tongue or something else in there to haul it away.

The electrical runs down through the center of the tongue (square tube) and exits one side of it, just after it meets up with the trailer frame - and connects via a 9-pin connector to an electrical socket under the trailer frame. So, no tongue, no electric. And because it is a 9-pin connector, much less chance of someone coming up with something on the spot - it would have to be a well-planned heist.

As an added bonus - removable tongue makes for easier storage in the driveway too - just take that sucker off and lots more space in the driveway :)

Recommend you do something like this on your replacement trailer, or on the one you have if you get it back.

Sorry about your trailer, but nice to get some validation for my trailer theft paranoia and the extra work it entailed.

Hope you get the bastards - or at least your trailer back.

Cheers!
ND

p.s.: picture shows work in progress - still missing fenders, doors and front side panels. That green is primer - will be painted silver to match the Jeep.

how about some more pictures of that thing.... some closer up and also come of the tongue setup? (start a new thread on it if you don't want to do it in this one....)

seems like an interesting trailer...

how about some more pictures of that thing.... some closer up and also come of the tongue setup? (start a new thread on it if you don't want to do it in this one....) seems like an interesting trailer...
Well, I'm planning on it - here in another 2 weeks or so. That will give me time (I think) to finish up the doors and get them and the fenders, and the two front side panels installed and such - and then I will be taking lots and lots of pictures and do a detailed write-up (keep an eye on the DIY forum).

Some of its primary features include:

-Extremely heavy duty, for off-road use (this thing is SOLIDILY over-built)
-3500 lb axle and built to match (final empty weight TBA, but net capacity of 2000 lbs predicted)
-adjustable/relocatable axle to accommodate various loading possibilities
-electric brakes and breakaway switch
-100 cf storage (27cf in secure steel boxes, the rest in the trailer body itself)
-room for 16 to 20 tanks, standing upright, in main cargo bay alone
-3 removable internal bulkheads, for maximum configuration flexibility
-removable shelf, designed to be used as a portable table top
-extremely heavy duty rear bumper with MASSIVE load carrying capacity
-plan to make cargo rack for rear bumper - could take more tanks, motorcycle, etc.
-main cargo bay has numerous internal welded-on D-rings for tie-down straps
-completely flat top, for top-carried items, roof rack, or roof-top tent to be added later
-side storage boxes for easy gear access
-switch activated side and rear lights for lighting up campsites, dive sites, etc.
-removable tongue (for anti-theft purposes and ease of driveway storage)
-front battery/tool compartment, waterproofed and separate from wet gear areas

But I do have a couple of more pictures sitting here ready to go. I'll post them to wet your whistle in the meantime :)

Thanks!
ND

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 67
OK - well, its dark, but I was able to get the picture you wanted Mike. See three attachments below. I think it shows what you wanted to see.

One thing I didn't mention that is a major security enhancement. The entire axle assembly with the springs is on its own sub-frame, which is then bolted to the main frame. This is how I implemented the adjustable axle option I wanted. I can jack the trailer up, undo the four (big-assed grade 8) bolts, move the axle to the position I want, based on load distribution, and bolt it back into place. It's pretty slick - I think.

It also has a security advantage. For longer-term storage, I can jack the trailer up, unbolt the axle carriage (sub-frame), roll it away, and leave the trailer up on its built-in jackstands - and with no tongue attached. That's going to make it really hard for someone to steal, unless they have a flat bed trailer and want to haul it away that way - and a thief is always going to have that option, no matter what you do. You can't stop the really hard-core ones, but you can make them curse your name :)

Attachments

• underbody0.jpg
    underbody0.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 61
  • underbody_0_anno.jpg
    underbody_0_anno.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 60
  • underbody_1.jpg
    underbody_1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 57
Joe-Diver;

If I see it on the road in the Ft Worth/Alliance area, I'll call both ya'all and the local authorities.

It's gotta be somewhere.

how about some more pictures of that thing.... some closer up and also come of the tongue setup? (start a new thread on it if you don't want to do it in this one....) seems like an interesting trailer...
Hey, I came across some photos I took before putting the floor in. They show the tongue work (attachment points) pretty well. Picts attached.

Attachments

• underbody_floorless_1.jpg
    underbody_floorless_1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 51
  • tubes_closeup.jpg
    tubes_closeup.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 37
  • underbody_floorless_3.jpg
    underbody_floorless_3.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 44
Hey, I came across some photos I took before putting the floor in. They show the tongue work (attachment points) pretty well. Picts attached.

that's a pretty nice trailer you're building there. Thanks for posting it. (makes up for all the quacky 'shipping to alaska posts' you did! :rofl3:)

I like the jack stands.... I noticed the 2" receivers on the bumper in the earlier post and what looks like one of the reciever locks for storing keys in.

You definately need to start a new thread on this for this trailer. (perhaps have a mod move these posts over there, or just re-post them.

good job on the trailer. looks like a lot of work on the thinking out the design and on the fabrication. good job.

that's a pretty nice trailer you're building there. Thanks for posting it. (makes up for all the quacky 'shipping to alaska posts' you did! :rofl3:)
Gee, thanks :)

I like the jack stands....
Yeah, their main purpose is to provide stability when parked and not attached - you know, how a camping trailer has levelers? But they also can serve the purpose of jack stands when jacking the trailer up and leaving it there. Came in handy during the build process too. Added a lot to cost though - each one of those tubes is about $20. The trailer has a total of 7 of them. :)

I noticed the 2" receivers on the bumper in the earlier post and what looks like one of the reciever locks for storing keys in.
That device is a hitch safe - works in any standard receiver tube. HitchSafe.

You definately need to start a new thread on this for this trailer. (perhaps have a mod move these posts over there, or just re-post them.
I will, when I'm ready. Give me another 2 weeks or so :)

good job on the trailer. looks like a lot of work on the thinking out the design and on the fabrication. good job.
Thanks :) It's worth pointing out that while I did the design and a lot of the work, I did have some help from a buddy who can weld :)

Back
Top Bottom