STOLEN Dive Trailer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What we're hoping is it was someone wanting valuable contents, and when they find there's nothing in it they can turn they'll just ditch it somewhere. It's sort of a pain to turn the trailer, get a new VIN and registration/title. Usually these sort of cargo trailer thefts are for the contents. From what I've heard, it happens to the Scouts quite a bit, which is even worse...low life scumbags stealing from children....

What we're hoping is it was someone wanting valuable contents, and when they find there's nothing in it they can turn they'll just ditch it somewhere. It's sort of a pain to turn the trailer, get a new VIN and registration/title. Usually these sort of cargo trailer thefts are for the contents. From what I've heard, it happens to the Scouts quite a bit, which is even worse...low life scumbags stealing from children....

I happened to a troop in my hometown when i was a kid. Freaking punk ass bitches. I'll look for it, but i gotta warn you, i don't get off campus much! But if I see it i'll defiantly assist, I'm sure Ryanh can help! :rofl3:

Sorry to hear about that. I've often thought of painting a sign on mine that says " Taylor septic pumpers - we got your **** covered". Until then it's going to stay a plain ole white trailer with no markings.

Hope it works out for your team.

Ken

Hey Kenny, I was going to PM you this thread because I know you'd just cringe if you went out front and found yours gone!

For everyone reading, you can get a "Hitch Lock" that keeps someone from being able to put the hitch on their trailer tow bar/ball.

chances are if you have a scuba trailer full of gear then it's not fully covered by insurance for everything that's in it.

all kinds of makes/brands of this... I've seen them for $30 to $40 bucks

103772_lg.jpg

here is another one

UMAX-100.jpg

or a trailer wheel lock

trailer1aa.jpg

trailer2aa.jpg

Do yall think it was someone who wanted scuba gear for free, or someone who didn't care what was in it as long as it was valuable for resale? I would hate to think that any fellow diver would steal gear. Every diver I've been around has been just the opposite, glad to share anything they have. I guess it does happen though, because Zinc had his Henderson core warmer stolen while we were at Aquarena. If it was divers, may their fin straps break before every dive...

Cant' say for sure, but I seriously doubt it was another diver(s). Another diver(s) would have been smart enough to know we pack the trailer on Friday night for the lake weekend rather than Thursday night.

Most likely someone looking to turn a buck.

Sorry to hear about it.... :(

Any trailer photo and insurance? Any photo will be a big help to let everyone know yours

Bastids. I hate thieves, too.

Ski boats have the swing-away hitches with pins on either side so the thing will fit in your garage. If you take both pins off, the whole hitch comes off and that baby ain't movin' nowhere. Trailers can be retrofitted with tongues like this.

If you're looking for the cheap route, just run a motorcycle lock cable through the spokes on the wheel and through the axle.

Like Jim said, it'll keep the (fairly) honest people out, but the real thieves will still steal it. Unless there's no hitch on the trailer.

Any word on the trailer??

I'm currently building an "off-road adventure SCUBA support trailer" (pict attached). I designed it with a removable tongue, specifically to enhance security. While someone may break into it, and while someone may haul it away via one mechanism or another, I think that lack of a tongue (including the electrical hookup, which is also quick-disconnect) is a pretty good deterrent to keep someone from stealing the whole trailer. This can be an issue when you go out camping in the middle of nowhere and leave your rig behind while you go hiking or whatever.

FWIW - the trailer has welded on (quite securely, and well reinforced) two standard receiver hitches (in-line), about 24" apart. The removable tongue slides into both of these and is held in with two standard hitch pins. You could also put in two of those hitch pin lock things into those holes when the tongue is NOT attached, just to make it harder for someone to try to put their own tongue or something else in there to haul it away.

The electrical runs down through the center of the tongue (square tube) and exits one side of it, just after it meets up with the trailer frame - and connects via a 9-pin connector to an electrical socket under the trailer frame. So, no tongue, no electric. And because it is a 9-pin connector, much less chance of someone coming up with something on the spot - it would have to be a well-planned heist.

As an added bonus - removable tongue makes for easier storage in the driveway too - just take that sucker off and lots more space in the driveway :)

Recommend you do something like this on your replacement trailer, or on the one you have if you get it back.

Sorry about your trailer, but nice to get some validation for my trailer theft paranoia and the extra work it entailed.

Hope you get the bastards - or at least your trailer back.

Cheers!
ND

p.s.: picture shows work in progress - still missing fenders, doors and front side panels. That green is primer - will be painted silver to match the Jeep.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 90

Back
Top Bottom