Cotton Mouth???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs once bubbled...
Awesome but it was difficult to believe for me as well! I'll try it sometime... but how will I know I'm not getting a stomach full of punch flavored seawater?

The small sports bottles work as well, any size that will fit in your bc pocket or a pouch. The thing you have to remember is to drain the bottle or you'll (a) open it to seawater as soon as you stop or (b) pinch your taste buds in the stopper when you re-seal it. .
The only difficult part is being coordinated enough to punch the straw through the strawhole in the foil packet. Much, much easier than trying to drink out of those small sports bottles --- as we both noted, they want to suck back in seawater as soon as you stop drinking. Camelbacks (sp?) or other floppy collapsible water packs for hiking/biking are used by some people. They also have the advantage of collapsing as you drink, so you don't have the saltwater problem. I'm just looking for a small mid-dive refresher, so I just use whatever drinks are on the boat.

Charlie99 once bubbled... SNIP... I'm just looking for a small mid-dive refresher, so I just use whatever drinks are on the boat.
lol I need more than that because I dive with Marvel, who now breathes about 75% of what I do (and going down) and Jenny, who could do a typical boat dive using a pony. After we hit 1:45 I'm ready for a big gulp, and at 2 hours I begin to go insane with thirst. The girls don't seem to have as great a need for liquid, interestingly enough.

I'd be very worried about the bicycle hydration systems... anybody know what cavers do these days on extended dives?

I usually take my regulator off my mouth take a sip of water in my mouth and lose the cotton mouth. It's that easy :) If you are thirsty ofcourse that won't work :wink:

I took a Coke down to 110 feet the other day. Shook it up as violently as I could and opened it for a refresher. Nada came out. Was interesting to see theory into practice. Carbonation stayed in the can. Of course, the sip that I took of it was pretty salty.

My recommendation is that cans of anything really wont solve your dry mouth problem. I saw an advertisment for a device like an IV bag that attaches to your mouthpiece and you can squirt water into it when you need to. Think it is probably more trouble than its worth though.

I read comments about this Apollo Bio Filter product, so since this caught my intrest, so I decided to contact the company and see what they would say about diving with it in cold water and what other company's have any products, such as there's and this is the response I obtained. Hope this gives anybody some help about it....

Dear Scott,

The manual is also available online. A link can be found in the list of features and benefits for the bio-filter.

The bio-filter wick is damp and as a result subject to freezing. It is not recommended for temperatures below 45 degrees.

The patented moisture system has been available as a built in unit on various Apollo model regulators for over 20 years. The adaptable patented bio-filter has been sold here in the US for approximately 2.5 years. There is no other product on the market like it.

I believe you may be referring to another brand regulator which has metal fins in the mouthpiece that are dependent on your own aspirations to collect condensation to re-moisturize the air. However, it does not even come close to the performance an comfort that our in-line moisturized wick can provide.

Regards,
Monica
Apollo USA

Knavey once bubbled...
I saw an advertisment for a device like an IV bag that attaches to your mouthpiece and you can squirt water into it when you need to. Think it is probably more trouble than its worth though.

www.Scuda.com

i think you are talking about this.

steve

I have had fairly significant issues with this since I got my Mk25/S600.

Today I did a LONG shallow dive (over an hour) and got the usual cotton mouth. So I switch to my backup reg (G250) for grins and giggles. Surprise! The problem was significantly lessened.

Now what's the difference? The G250 has a metal air tube. The S600 is ALL PLASTIC.

I'm going to swap my second stages for two dives tomorrow, and see if it makes as big a difference as I saw today.

I bet it does.

If so, then my recommendation would be to get rid of all-plastic seconds for those who have issues.

Frankly, Doc, I bet that if you start looking at what the airtube is made out of between those who have and who don't have significant "cotton mouth" issues, you'd find some correlation.

The difference, for me, caused by simply switching to my backup was STRIKING.

DivemasterSteve once bubbled...

www.Scuda.com

i think you are talking about this.

steve

That was it! 2 guys on the liveaboard I was on both had them, but neither had them attached to the gear for use. I suppose that might sum it up...divers that have them, really don't use them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom