Hard Sole Booties for Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjmills:
So Pete, how did the Bare Ice boots work out?

I have the Henderson Hyper's in 5mm and they fit my LL Apollos perfectly. I want to try a different boot but am concerned about the fit too. The Bare's and the Sea Softs look (in pictures) much bigger. Anyone know?

Our original boots (wife & I) were Deep See Eco-Zip 6.5 mm. They were still in nice shape but definitely had that comfy slipper feeling. From diving the rocky shores of Maine we were already eager for more support and based on the comment about Bonaire this seemed like a good time to make a move.

The Sea Soft Stealths looked like a great product and had rave reviews. We got some of those in and they just didn't work for us. My boot size fit neither my wet or dry fins. My wife was too tight in the ankles. They are a sturdier boot but the bottoms were not that sort of hiking boot solid like I expected. They got returned.

We did not have a local source of the Bare boot and I wasn't in the mood for any more mail order roulette.

A buddy mentioned the Deep See "Safe Sole" line and that was a winner. The fit was great, I actually went down a size improving fit and warmth. We stayed with 6.5mm for use at home and away. We walked around the LDS with a Safe Sole on one foot and an Eco-Zip on the other. Stepping over things there was a very obvious improvement in sole strength. We each got a new pair of Safe Soles at the LDS for the Leisure Pro price of one pair of the Sea Soft Stealths so that part wasn't hard to swallow!

We made 10 dives a few weeks ago in Florida and they seemed dandy. They head for Bonaire on the 28th. I'll try to remember to post a follow-up when I return but I expect that that will do fine.

Pete

In my humble opinion, the super-duty, hike the mountains then dive boots are overkill for Bonaire, unless you have super weak anlkes. The Deep Sea standard 3mm boots are fine.

Willar:
In my humble opinion, the super-duty, hike the mountains then dive boots are overkill for Bonaire, unless you have super weak anlkes. The Deep Sea standard 3mm boots are fine.

Truth is you are right. You can survive with the 3mm Deep Sea but then again its nice to have a little heavier boot that does protect you. You don't have to go all the way to the "workboot" type but if you have ever went down to the lighthouse....you will appreciate the extra support. Also, the long carry at places like 1000 steps is also nice to have a little more.

spectrum:
A number of recent posts suggest hard sole booties.

Do you mean just the basic rubber soled run of the mill neoprene dive booties worn with open heel fins or are you talking about something especially rigid?

Thanks,
Pete

Just got back a week ago and I brought two sets of fins, one strapped with hard sole boots for the shore stuff and fitted fins for the boat. Worked out great. By the way my buddie got a few barbs from an urchent thru the side of the boot, be careful where you step especially night diving.

spectrum:
Our original boots (wife & I) were Deep See Eco-Zip 6.5 mm. They were still in nice shape but definitely had that comfy slipper feeling. From diving the rocky shores of Maine we were already eager for more support and based on the comment about Bonaire this seemed like a good time to make a move.

The Sea Soft Stealths looked like a great product and had rave reviews. We got some of those in and they just didn't work for us. My boot size fit neither my wet or dry fins. My wife was too tight in the ankles. They are a sturdier boot but the bottoms were not that sort of hiking boot solid like I expected. They got returned.

We did not have a local source of the Bare boot and I wasn't in the mood for any more mail order roulette.

A buddy mentioned the Deep See "Safe Sole" line and that was a winner. The fit was great, I actually went down a size improving fit and warmth. We stayed with 6.5mm for use at home and away. We walked around the LDS with a Safe Sole on one foot and an Eco-Zip on the other. Stepping over things there was a very obvious improvement in sole strength. We each got a new pair of Safe Soles at the LDS for the Leisure Pro price of one pair of the Sea Soft Stealths so that part wasn't hard to swallow!

We made 10 dives a few weeks ago in Florida and they seemed dandy. They head for Bonaire on the 28th. I'll try to remember to post a follow-up when I return but I expect that that will do fine.

Pete

Hey Pete,

You mentioned in an earlier post that you wear a size 9. Same here; What size did you buy in the Safe Sole boot AND what brand/size fin are they fitting in?

I'm getting ready to buy another pair of fins and these boots (Cressi Pro STAR ... or their Master Frog?). I didn't want to have to send all this back when the boot didn't fit right!

Thanks for any info! I'll be in Bonaire to test these out on June 9th!
Pat

Actually my old Deep Sea Eco-zips are size 10s.

In the Safe Sole I took an 11 largely for a better fit on width (I'm extra wide in shoes) but it's still a great fit. In fact the 3 of us that got them have all marveled at how well they hang on to our feet when it's time to remove them. The served us well over the 18 dives in Bonaire. There was no perceptible change in fin fit.

I'm diving Aeris Velocity in L-XL fins.

With the advantage of perspective I can now say I did not find the surfaces particularly severe compared to a Maine rocky entry. The textures and materials were different and neither boot would save you from a spiny urchin. Gladly they seemed to stay just beyond fin donning depth. In any case the boot upgrade was a good overall upgrade.

Good luck on the mail order. Doing it in store was a much more effective route for us.

Pete

mnj1233:
Just got back a week ago and I brought two sets of fins, one strapped with hard sole boots for the shore stuff and fitted fins for the boat. Worked out great. By the way my buddie got a few barbs from an urchent thru the side of the boot, be careful where you step especially night diving.

Yea, those urchins are something to reckon with. I was in the midst of our trip when you posted.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom