Gear Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol everyones bagging me for predeciding that I wasnt intersted in going full DIR. I certainly can read anything DIR or GUE and take the parts I appreciate from it, thank you for more literature, you can never have too much. I can appreciate help from anybody just the same though regardless of beleifs or even agency.

Cheekymonkey:
lol everyones bagging me for predeciding that I wasnt intersted in going full DIR.

hehe no worries... Anyway, I think your 108's will be -1lbs negative each when empty, so you can possibly use that to work your numbers into the examples from that article.

FWIW, I have double HP100s which are also -1lbs/ea when empty, with an SS B/P, and dive that with a 55lbs wing which is plenty. I think it's entirely possible that a 45lbs wing would suffice for me (but I haven't tried it).

Rhlee thank you for the read there it was much appreciated.

Yea Rhlee, just read your post, of course not until after I posted again... but it listed these as -4 still empty which suprised me but thats fine with me as later on deco i'd prolly be dealing with positive aluminums anyway right?

I forsee the 45 being large enough, but i'm thinking the 51lb+ diverite wing might give me slightly more to work with without adding to much excess material and drag. What do you think?

Cheekymonkey:
Yea Rhlee, just read your post, of course not until after I posted again... but it listed these as -4 still empty which suprised me but thats fine with me as later on deco i'd prolly be dealing with positive aluminums anyway right?
You can solve that by using steel deco bottles.

Cheekymonkey:

I forsee the 45 being large enough, but i'm thinking the 51lb+ diverite wing might give me slightly more to work with without adding to much excess material and drag. What do you think?

I was looking at the specs here. It's plausible that they are incorrect or incomplete...

I don't dive with stage or deco bottles yet so I'm not sure, but I suspect that isn't how they would enter into the equation. My understanding about wing size is that you want to see how buoyant the whole rig is by itself on the surface and make sure your wing is sufficient to float that weight. If anything, I'd expect that diving with stages would require the buoyancy (full) of the stage bottles to be counted towards balancing the rig since they will be full (and heaviest) at the surface at the start of the dive.

But, I'm new to this stuff too; there are many others (probably most) around here that have far more experience.

good luck.

Keep the bottles, one on each side for balance if you're using steel. You might need the 60lb wing though if you're doing that.

Personally I use the 50lb wing when doing deep air dives and steel deco bottles, but I go to the 45lb one for trimix dives with ALU40 deco's.

Now, I want my $50.00 Jeff.

I told you I'd admit it.

Hey Rhlee for whatever reason the worthington LP's arent on that list, buoyancy wise I was going by what the dealers were telling me. I didnt see a worthington website when I googled them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom