Gear Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhlee:
Just out of curiosity, why are you looking at poseidon's (other than, perhaps, a distaste for the DIR crowd)? The upstream valve and non-standard fittings seem like big turn-offs for me.
Not all Poseidons are upstream valves, not by a long shot.

Cheekymonkey:
So I just signed myself up for TDI Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures, and Intro to Trimix.
I have decided on the regs I am going to be going with, but BC wise I am looking at BP/W, but I have never owned one before. I am looking for something to dive doubles with and while I do like minimal crap on me I am certainly not going the DIR route.

I would love any suggestions on BP/W systems that anyone can give as long as you give them with some explanation for the Tech and BP noob here. Please don't just post the name of your favorite setup as at my level of knowledge in this instance that will do me no good.

Thanks in advance guys.

Question-why take so many classes if you haven't used BP/W or doubles?

It's possible to take Advanced Nitrox/Deco (from at least one agency) using a single, larger volume steel tank, with H-valve, plus a slung 30cuft.

Doubles could follow after, when the diver either has more money, or realizes that more gas is needed for longer or more complex dives.

Well why learn to use doubles if I dont want ot the classes is how I feel about it, I have a nice sac rate and get alot of time out of single tanks, so the only reason for needing doubles personally is to advance in that direction.

Once again though I am really looking for input on help with wing size from someone that has had experience with doubles and wings before. I am already decided on continuing to this next step gear wise, and if I gain a normal comfort level with this new gear continuing onto the classes listed. So i'm just looking for help with the gear right now not necessarily on opinions on whether or not I should continue on in training since no one here has dove with me.

I myself have 2 differant wings... The first was a Double 80# wing for doing the deep technical diving. Then I bought the DR Classic for my cave rig. It was designed for the 104's /108's. I love this wing! I dive PST e-8 130's (104's). I hope this helps a little.

Just my .02
Butch

first off im glad you were able to find good prices on buying the componets to your back plate wings set up seperate, ive noticed a few companies such as dive rite and OMS perfer you buy your whole set up from them and there for are starting to charge an arm and a leg for the individual parts, unless you pick your set up and buy it all at once,
as far as equipment goes (and i know ill get crap for this from the dir guys) most of the tech divers or at least divers with doubles at my local shop and i use an oms setup we all use the the delux strap set up with the shoulder quick release buckle (this makes a huge difference, exspecially if you use this set up in a rescue diver class or durring a practice emergancy scenerio, just try to get some one out of a single strap set up under stress) for the wings we sort of all agree on the overkill approach its unnesecary but we all use the oms 94lbs winge with the retraction bands, actually one of our instrustors took the bands off and the large wings still dont cause a problem, i mean i guess if you are doing deep penetration they wouldnt be the most streamlined choice, but we use these set ups for our fun dives in 30ft in the local lakes and doing deep/ wreck dives in Lake michigan and superior, i know i like having the lift, i am a bigger guy and with my ss back plate 2peice 7mm wet suite and a lp 121 steel i carry 6-8 lbs lead, so far i havent had a problem if i move in to more inclosed inviroments yeah ill proabaly get wings that are more streamlined but with these i could float me and 3 other people on the surface if i ever needed, plus i could use these wings with a rental aluminum 80 if i needed or double lp 121s with almost any gear i want to carry along whither its a camera or a pony and stage bottle, this is a personal preferance of course, but thats my 2cents
ps this set up works great with a weight harness which i would sugest over a weight belt, but definitly over any of the weight integrated pockets avalible for the bp/w setups

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom