Gear Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheekymonkey

I'm a Goofy Monkey
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just signed myself up for TDI Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures, and Intro to Trimix.
I have decided on the regs I am going to be going with, but BC wise I am looking at BP/W, but I have never owned one before. I am looking for something to dive doubles with and while I do like minimal crap on me I am certainly not going the DIR route.

I would love any suggestions on BP/W systems that anyone can give as long as you give them with some explanation for the Tech and BP noob here. Please don't just post the name of your favorite setup as at my level of knowledge in this instance that will do me no good.

Thanks in advance guys.

Well, if you're not going DIR, then I'd recommend the OMS IQ Pack with wing. The IQ pack is NOT DIR standard, since it has plastic on it, but it is a very comfortable, adjustable fit, and yet still very minimal compared to rec style BC's. If not, just go the more DIR route and grab an aluminum BP and thread the webbing. (I know one of you guys has the site out there as to how to route your webbing correctly and get a nice fit). Then you're going to have to choose your tank setup (double steels or aluminums). I'd make sure whatever you choose, your wing can float your rig without you in it. If you plan on diving wet, TDI standart is also to dive with redundant buoyancy, so a dual bladder wing would probably be a good idea for that purpose. Other than that, find a cheap back up depth guage, and a good wrist slate, and some shock chord (for your necklace).

I'm looking at double LP 108's

I was thinking my drysuit is redudant buoyancy is that stupid?

A little confused when looking at double set ups, I see one reg has the primary secondary reg (long) off of it and the drysuit inflator, while the other has octopus (short) and a pressure gauge as well as LP inflator.
If you have to isolate the tanks for some unforseen reason how do you know tank pressure, don't you need a gauge on each?

As to plates I was thinking steel as I don't mind the extra weight and that might negate the rest of the need for lead with two very negative tanks?

Depth gauge wise I have an oceanic air integrate wireless computer I would probably dive on gauge mode, in addition to a normal pressure gauge of course, not replacing it. As well as a depth gauge on my citizen eco-drive.

Thanks again in advance.

What's wrong with the DIR route? :popcorn:
Seriously, you might not like DIR, but all your equipment needs are right here.

haha I knew someone would have to... I just don't beleive in it there being only one or two right ways to do things, I'd rather be minimalist and make changes. For instance I beleive in pressure gauges with boots. :p But thank you for bringing it up not ragging on you. DIR happens to be one of the only tech relating things I have gotten the chance to read up on since there is so much literature on it.

your drysuit is fine for redundancy in this case. Its rare you'll need backup buoyancy, but in that rare case, you're set. As for isolating, usually you assume you'll need to isolate your right post (primary regulator). Once isolated, you move to your necklace and breathe off your left post. In the other case, you shut down your left post and just keep on breathing on your primary. Either way, this is a good point to turn your dive. With conservatism, if you catch the problem in a decent amount of time, you'll have enough back gas in your isolated tank to get you either out of the water or at least to your deco bottle. You'll only need that one pressure guage (to answer your question). I'll let your instructor tell you the whole scenario behind all of this, but, yes, you only need the one air guage on your left post.

No DIR people answer this question I already know what you will say, ...

But whats the problem with throwing an additional short octo onto the side with my short hose reg, or a pressure gauge onto both sides, one of which I can stow away unless needed? And I mean short hoses so they are really out of the way.

Really though---go read that and it will answer all your questions.
Personally I don't believe there's any reason to have a boot on a pressure gauge, it doesn't add anything useful.

Cheekymonkey:
But whats the problem with throwing an additional short octo onto the side with my short hose reg, or a pressure gauge onto both sides, one of which I can stow away unless needed? And I mean short hoses so they are really out of the way.
"An additional short octo" meaning a 3rd second-stage?
Why would you need a second pressure gauge? If something happens where you have to shut off a post or isolate, the dive is over. Just seems like a waste of money to me. If you really want to get rid of that money, please send me a check. :14:

I get your point about the additional pressure gauge, definently sensible, unless you used the ioslator and used them as two seperate tanks right?

Yea the additional short octo meaning a 3rd 2nd stage lol. Sorry gotta ask these questions as they come up, even as stupid as they may seem.

And as to the website you linked me I already had that in my favorites list, its not that I'm not open to DIR ideas its just that I like to be able to integrate all ideas that I like together rather than labeling myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom