Gear Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, the easiest thing to do is ask your instructor. I hate to sound like a total deeek here, but your instructor will have his way he wants things done. He may in fact encourage you to "do it right" and change up the way you do things. He'll also have good answers for a lot of these questions.

But in short, why put an octo on the same side as your octo? (your necklace is virtually your octo in this case, since if the air share thing comes about, you donate what's in your mouth and take your necklace.) Its over-redundancy. But then again, someone will come in here and say, what if... what if... what if... and make a necessary purpose for having three regs on your person. But again, the best way to learn this stuff is ask your instructor, or read the book. But I warn you, the humor in there rivals Nyles from Frasier, and in subjects like this has somewhat limited information.

Cheekymonkey:
And as to the website you linked me I already had that in my favorites list, its not that I'm not open to DIR ideas its just that I like to be able to integrate all ideas that I like together rather than labeling myself.

It's like you're just baiting them...

Haha, absolutely tahnaks for the offer of help Pville. No he specifially doesnt do DIR, but just sticks with a minimalist ideas.
I'm going through a different instructor than I normally do for this, but he asked us to be comfortable with our doubles setup prior to coming to the class, so thats what I am planning on doing, getting in about 20-30 dives with the doubles before I go ahead and take coureses that add more variables into the diving.

Cheekymonkey:
I get your point about the additional pressure gauge, definitently sensible, unless you used the isolator and used them as two separate tanks right?
We could talk DIR semantics all day but there's no point so I won't address that.

I don't currently know of any course that advocates isolating the tanks on your back to use different mixes, if that's what you're describing. The isolator is always left open....always! Unless it's an emergency gas shutdown situation or doing a valve drill.
Sounds like you've got a lot of reading to do...:wink:

If you're looking for SPGs (sorry, none of these have boots), Salvo has some fairly inexpensive (~$60-$65?) ones. I'd also PM Soggy as I believe he has some for sale right now too.
If you're patient enough, TechDivingLimited might put their SPGs on sale for ~$55, those are nice as well.

already have two single spg's but thank you, I have far to much recreational gear in my condo that I know what to do with, its nice when something is actually useful for something else :p

Wow, never heard of isolated doubles? In this case (I've never ran it but seen it done) you usually run the same mix, and swap regs on a regular basis, keeping the tanks about even. I'm sure two different mixes wouldn't be out of question with this set-up, but you just gotta watch which mix your on, and its hard to do without seeing the tank your breathing on.

Actually going with different colored regs to help with that, not to mention I would probably label them, grease pencils are the love of my life underwater.

well the original question was a good one and i use an al. back plate and webbing i like this because it is low cost and a bit more stream line because thes not as much stuff in the area. as for some of the other thing i run a pressure gage off both post if yu do have to shut one down for any reason would you want to know how much air you lost it will let you know how much back gase you have left if you planned on a deco with you back gas. ive never seen 3 2nd stages that would be to many failure points you want to keep that down. i for got af for the gage boots ive seen it both ways i run the boots because i get in to some springs that you have to grab and pull your self past the opening because of flow and my stuff hits the ground it will help save your gages if they hit a rock. youll learn how to do things in your classes and then figure thing out on your own just because it works for me or another guy dont mean it will work for you. the one thing to remember about tech diving is remember no matter who you are with you are a solo diver you have o have your gear set up so to eliminate failure and to where you know your gear and can control any problem that may come about

Colors aren't necessarily good at depth, since colors bleach out... And since a majority of regs are black, well, grease pens better be white grease.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom