Gear Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on another note though, diving is a very personal sport and relies heavily on people beign welling to ask questions about theories and practices, i personally have read and re read the tdi deco procedures and advanced nitrox books just waiting for there to be a couple more divers to make it worth my local shop to teach the classes again, i just missed the last as i didnt feel ready for it and i might try to get dive master before those classes, but i know theyre in my not to distant future.
sometimes people need to ask the questions and talk ideas out inorder for the concepts to truely set in, and even then there is wiggle room in understanding, but divers that are at the level of say scuba steve or jeff g should undersrand this and not be so condisencding in this sort of conversation, diving works by comunity envolvement, there are no set answers in diving yet, we know the physics, but we truely only know what works for others equipment wise, and you figure that out by asking others and having an open discourse of ideas and personal theories, i know if i talked to an instructor with an aditude like some of the replies on this discussion i wouldnt be the diver i am today, and i most likely wouldnt be following my goals of where i want to be,

seeboth:
we all use the oms 94lbs winge with the retraction bands
Personally I prefer diving wrecks, although I suppose with this setup I could lift them as well.

I completely understand this, my current goal for buying dive gear is to get equipment that will last me through where ever my diving habbits take me. I feel, as of now, the retraction bands keep the wings out of the way. I've done some penetration wreck diving with these wings, nothing major, im not that advanded in wreck diving yet.

When i buy equipment i think of everything i could use it for and i could use these wings for almost any situation, except for very tight inclosed dives, and i personally dont feel ready for those dives yet. Im happy with the wrecks that can accomidate these wings, when i feel ready i can always buy a smaller set of wings, right?

I know its not a DIR set up, but i cant justify limiting my equipment like that yet in my career. I still dont know what kind of diving is my favorite, but i do know i like having a big tank, for now, and these wings will let me carry as big of a tank as i want.
I guess my apraoch to equipment is to buy it for versitility right now.

seeboth:
but divers that are at the level of say scuba steve or jeff g should undersrand this and not be so condisencding in this sort of conversation, diving works by comunity envolvement
If you come in with the attitude of having all the answers....then you get attitude back. Get used to it, its the internet. And when did diving work by community involvement?

seeboth:
and i know ill get crap for this from the dir guys
That assumes that we actual would care.

how does diving not work with comunity involvement this, this sport is what 30 years old really, no one has all the answers yet.
All i was saying is anyone who has reached the level of solo diver im sure has asked his share of stupid questions to get there, and should be welling to lend his knwoledge on the subject of his "expertice" when they see someone asking. not give an attitude for feeling that the person came in with an attitude. getting in to tech diving is pretty confusing, its very different from rec diving and asking stupid questions is how you figure these things out.
as for someone not wanting to get sent link after link, i agree there is so much info out there it is over whelming, it seems to me like th OP just wanted personal advice on the equipment setup he would use for where he wants to go in diving.

i might be relativly new to diving but if you think you dont need a community for diving your very mistaken, in fact why are you a memebr to this site? its a dive community right? thinking you have all the answers, and dont need a others to share ideas with, can be extremely dangerous in a sport such as this. if you didnt have a dive communtiy how would this sport evolve, personally or as a whole

30? You're a few decades off.

yes im sorry, but for tech diving sake the NOAA didn't publish nitrox dive charts untill 1979, which i would argue is part of a series of steps in technology that truly made diving a public sport and opened the idea of tech diving, if you want to get into history, people have been diving since teh 1500s with diving bells, but for recreational purposes id say diving is a very young sport

SparticleBrane:
Punctuation is your friend.

LOL, that's just what I was thinking reading the posts. I'd also include capitalization, spell checking, and basic grammar checking on the list. Centuries of proven writing techniques go a long way towards improving communications.

Yes I know, and I'm sorry about the writing quality. I guess my english minor doesn't kick in while I'm on vacation.

seeboth:
how does diving not work with comunity involvement this
What planet are you on?
seeboth:
no one has all the answers yet.
and some have just wrong ones.

seeboth:
All i was saying is anyone who has reached the level of solo diver im sure has asked his share of stupid questions to get there, and should be welling to lend his knwoledge on the subject of his "expertice" when they see someone asking. not give an attitude for feeling that the person came in with an attitude.
Sorry. I don't owe anyone anything. Reap what you sow.

seeboth:
getting in to tech diving is pretty confusing, its very different from rec diving and asking stupid questions is how you figure these things out.
Maybe...If the person is actually willing to hear the answers.

seeboth:
i might be relativly new to diving but if you think you dont need a community for diving your very mistaken,
Actually, I'm not.

But thats enough. Takes to long to translate your posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom