ZHL vs. VPM-B algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

magicfx

Registered
Reaction score
Compared to typical Bühlmann profiles, VPM dive profiles often have deeper initial stops that are believed to reduce bubble formation, along with reduced time at shallow depths.
Can I just set GF Lo lower and GF Hi Higher to "simulate" VPM algorithm?

Why would you want to? Not that VPM is inherently bad, but deep stops associated with conservative VPM and low GF Lo have been empirically shown to have negative outcomes. This is largely due to the fact that they were adopted without empirical evidence.

Compared to typical Bühlmann profiles, VPM dive profiles often have deeper initial stops that are believed to reduce bubble formation, along with reduced time at shallow depths.
Can I just set GF Lo lower and GF Hi Higher to "simulate" VPM algorithm?

Bluntly speaking, the answer is yes. Any deco software will allow you to make the comparison. After that, you must consider what to do with the diving plan the machine's generated. I use both VPM and ZHL GF, but one might remember that with any of the algorithm you can create an unwise (aka dangerous / aberrant) diving profile.

And please everybody, do not open the "Anti VPM - Pro ZHL GF' can of worms once more.

Bluntly speaking, the answer is yes. Any deco software will allow you to make the comparison. After that, you must consider what to do with the diving plan the machine's generated. I use both VPM and ZHL GF, but one might remember that with any of the algorithm you can create an unwise (aka dangerous / aberrant) diving profile.

And please everybody, do not open the "Anti VPM - Pro ZHL GF' can of worms once more.
Not a can of worms given that it’s long since settled :wink:

Not a can of worms given that it’s long since settled :wink:

Glad to learn it, wasn't aware :) Anyway, planning deep dives made me "what if..." conscious. :p:D

There are so many sources on this now. Deep stops are really falling out of favor so setting up your GF hi/lo to mimic VPM is taking some steps backwards in science.

Gradient Factors in a Post-Deep Stops World

Here is one article but you can find dozens with peer reviewed scientific studies as well.

Back
Top Bottom