Zeagle's Express Tech: The first and last BC most will ever need (or want)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I am the first one having the Express Tech in Europe :D - Just received it from the US together with the Zip Touch weight system. As plenty of people who know better than me already reported on the high quality of the BC I will not start talking about it.
I'd rather like to ask a question: How much do you recommend a back pad or shoulder pad for this BC? I read in this thread someone thinks it goes perfectly well without it but since I only have the first possibility to try it myself on a safari in Egypt I'd like to hear your opinions.

The shoulder pads might be nice if you are diving without exposure protection. I surely don't need them as they add bulk and weight for traveling. You definitely don't need the back pad... there is nothing hard back there now.

Unlike my good friend Pete, I actually enjoy the comfort of the back pad. It just puts a nice layer of padding between the plate and my back.

Do you NEED it??....no. Is it nice to have??....Yes, in my opinion.

Same goes for the shoulder pads.

I will also add that they weigh virtually nothing - the back pad AND the shoulder pads weigh about 1/3rd of a pound!!!!!! They also take up very little space.

Keep in mind that I was diving with only a swimsuit and rash guard, so I had zero padding from a wetsuit.

Thanks,

Scott

To be honest... I haven't tried them. I am basing my opinion on how comfortable this system is out of the box. But then, I have converted from diving a back plate and wing configuration almost exclusively to this configuration. Diving gear has become fun again!

I do know this. The shop next door to me ( Dayo Scuba) has a hard time keeping them in stock. In fact, they have put them into their rental gear a few times, only to have them bought on the first or second rental. I'll ask them if they have the pads on or not.

I use my Express Tech without the pads and dive with rash guard and swim suit. I don't think they are necessary, but like NetDoc, I haven't tried it with the pads. I have 25 dives on mine and really like it. You should add a few D rings before you go if nothing else. Have fun in Egypt.

I don't have the pads and find it very comfortable. Most of the time I don't even notice it. I did my check out dive in the pool with no wetsuit but all my ocean dives have been with a 3mm suit.

I would highly recommend a crotch strap though. Without it the BC tends to ride up in the water and then you're banging your head on the tank.

Doug

I don't have the pads and find it very comfortable. Most of the time I don't even notice it. I did my check out dive in the pool with no wetsuit but all my ocean dives have been with a 3mm suit.

I would highly recommend a crotch strap though. Without it the BC tends to ride up in the water and then you're banging your head on the tank.

Doug

Doug, did you put together a crotch strap yourself or does Zeagle sell one for the Express Tech? I would like to add one to mine. Thanks

We sell one. It uses the same crotch strap as our backplates:

519-CS01 is the 1" strap....retail price $10

519-CS09 is the 2" strap....retail price $14

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks for the responds. It feels extremly comfortable when I try it at home without a bottle, so I guess I will skip the shoulder pads at this time. I added a crotch strap and D-rings though. The more time passes by the more excited I get about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom