Zeagle's Express Tech: The first and last BC most will ever need (or want)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually use weight belt for diving. I would like to ask I tighten up the crotch strap first or put up the weight belt on my wraist first for express tech.

I added a crotch strap to my ET and dive using a weight belt. I put the belt on first and then BC. When I put on the BC I simply pass the crotch strap up underneath the weight belt and then feed the waist strap buckle through a loop in the end of the crotch strap.

D

Belt and then crotch strap over it. As long as it takes to undo the waist belt and let the crotch strap fall, it's not a big concern. I'd be more concerned with the weight belt coming off accidentally at depth. If it were needing to be ditched at the surface and get hung up a simple slice of the crotch strap would remedy that. If you dive properly weighted the solution I recommend is a belt with individual pockets. Xs sells them or make your own. You just drop one or two weights without worrying about undoing anything.

Had a question about tightening the ET webbing to a snug fit. I recently got the ET deluxe with a crotch strap, and just dove with it first time in a pool to check it out and calibrate weight and trim. I had no problem with BCD riding up as the crotch strap was snug, but I did have a problem tightening the waist strap while in the water to keep the waist and shoulders snug. I had to hand feed the webbing through the waist buckles to get things tight rather than pulling on them, which was a minor PIA, and I never really got the BCD snug until I came out of the water and adjusted it. Are these supposed to be easily adjustable under water on the fly, or it it just supposed to be "set it and forget it" before you dive?

You can cause problems if you try to adjust too much underwater. The tank will float up your back and you'll pull too much slack through the belt. It helps to put a couple tri-glides (weight holders) on the inside portion of the shoulder/waist strap to set a max point for tightening the belt. I find the big plastic ones work the best (they won't pull through the metal ring). My pre-dive routine generally includes standing up and shrugging my tank down into place, then tightening my waist belt while I'm still carrying the weight of the tank on my back. Then I snug up my crotch strap; take a couple breaths on my reg and fall in. It becomes pretty automatic after a couple of dives. I only make minor adjustments underwater.

Just as a note...I have a basic harness and I rigged a Zeagle "saddle strap" (rather than a standard crotch strap) I stole off my wife's Stiletto.

Had a question about tightening the ET webbing to a snug fit. I recently got the ET deluxe with a crotch strap, and just dove with it first time in a pool to check it out and calibrate weight and trim. I had no problem with BCD riding up as the crotch strap was snug, but I did have a problem tightening the waist strap while in the water to keep the waist and shoulders snug. I had to hand feed the webbing through the waist buckles to get things tight rather than pulling on them, which was a minor PIA, and I never really got the BCD snug until I came out of the water and adjusted it. Are these supposed to be easily adjustable under water on the fly, or it it just supposed to be "set it and forget it" before you dive?
A little wear and it will adjust easily. At least it does for me.

Just ordered my first BCD due to this thread. I wanted something that I could grow with in my time diving. I like how the ET is modular and things can be tweaked and it has an excellent buy in price. I was able to get a demoed deluxe from leisurepro for something like $225 shipped. I have already ordered the zip weight pockets and will be putting a crotch strap on it. Can't wait and thanks for all the great info!!

Last edited:
Congratulations! I have the Zip Touch pockets on my Basic and absolutely love them. But i thought they came on the deluxe.

Ah, I see. They're excellent, though. They each can take about 10 lbs. of hard weights (soft are too big - I want to get rid of mine), and really stay out of the way so you don't even notice them when you're diving.

Back
Top Bottom