Zeagle's Express Tech: The first and last BC most will ever need (or want)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all.

About to pull the trigger on this one. Couple more questions:

1. Should I want (or need) to upgrade to a metal backplate in the future, is the standard 24lb wing adequate for warm diving up to a 3mm suit?

2. The first question assumes that the other parts are not only compatible, but work well with a metal plate from Zeagle. Correct?

1. Should I want (or need) to upgrade to a metal backplate in the future, is the standard 24lb wing adequate for warm diving up to a 3mm suit?
Easily.

2. The first question assumes that the other parts are not only compatible, but work well with a metal plate from Zeagle. Correct?
It will work with ANY backplate, metal or otherwise.

I'm wondering something. My DRIS Steel BP/W is too heavy if I'm diving skin. Could I but a Zeagle ET back plate ( says it's like $62 or something ) web it with standard webbing and then use my Highland tank straps and DRIS wing with it?

Edit: I think I'd have to use my STA as my wing doesn't have slots for the adaterless style threading. I wonder if an sta attached to this softwing would be stable or not. I don't see a channel down the middle so maybe the wing nuts would poke me.

Guess I just need to have 2 rigs if I don't want to be overweighted in skin / freshwater.

Guess I just need to have 2 rigs
Good call. For the relatively inexpensive price of the Express Tech, why go through all the pain and hassle to convert one to the other and then have to go back again? FWIW, I dive a DSS Kydex Backplate and DSS wing when I dive doubles. Yes, I own a single wing as well, but why bother?

Agreed. Clearly I'd want two wings for singles and doubles. But it wasn't so clear to me for plate and harness. Let's say I had two rigs and my DRIS wing had a tear in it. Would the Zeagle wing attach to a standard BP? ( Yes, I have to rigs but I wouldn't want to wear a weightbelt. )

Yes, the zeagle would attach to a BP. Try not to tear them though! :D

The wife and I went to Bonaire during the last week of July and flying out of Dallas, we stopped by ScubaToys to see the Zeagle ET.
Below is how I set it up, and my thoughts about diving with it.

I ended up swapping the 24lb bladder for the 30lb doughnut (+$30), added the Zip Touch weight system and two XS Scuba tank band pouches.
A Dive Rite Bent D-Ring went on each shoulder strap, a Std. D-Ring on the left side of the waist belt and a 2" crotch strap with quick release in the middle. On the right side of the waist belt I wore a sheath for EMT shears, and on the left side a small pouch for a flashlight.
Plastic tri-glides were used at the bottom of the shoulder straps, so the waist belt can be adjusted independently of the shoulders.

While diving in Bonaire I wore a full 3/2 suit, was able to get rid of 6lbs of lead compared to my Seaquest Balance and found the trim to be excellent. Although the Balance is a back inflate BC, the ET is still much less bulky, the straps are less noticeable, and the location for the Zip Touch weight system is less noticeable as well. Packs flatter too.

Minor Issues: Most likely I will change the pull dump inflator hose to the standard version, as the position of the pull dump outlet doesn't work well for me on the ET anyway. I used the two attachment eyes at the bottom corners of the ET backplate to clip off a SMB and a finger spool, and on the last day of diving the one holding the finger spool pulled out of the backplate. It probably got caught on the tank rack in the truck and when I moved the setup by the tank it pulled out the stitches. It's going back to Zeagle for repair tomorrow.

Overall I'm very happy with the setup and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quality, highly configurable, lightweight BC.
Also can't say enough about the staff at ScubaToys, they were willing to swap out any part of the ET to get it like I wanted.
I really expected my wife would want one after seeing mine, but she wants to stay with her Seaquest Libra, I did have to buy her a new wetsuit though.

I'm wondering something. My DRIS Steel BP/W is too heavy if I'm diving skin. Could I but a Zeagle ET back plate ( says it's like $62 or something ) web it with standard webbing and then use my Highland tank straps and DRIS wing with it?

Edit: I think I'd have to use my STA as my wing doesn't have slots for the adaterless style threading. I wonder if an sta attached to this softwing would be stable or not. I don't see a channel down the middle so maybe the wing nuts would poke me.

Guess I just need to have 2 rigs if I don't want to be overweighted in skin / freshwater.

How many pounds are you too heavy? The difference between a steel plate and an aluminium plate is about 4 lbs. What you could do is sell the DRIS plate and buy an aluminium plate for the skin and buy a weight to fit in the channel of the plate to add when you dive a wetsuit. There is no channel down the middle of the plate so you would need to use some book screws. Both Oxycheq and OMS sell soft STAs if you want to go all soft.

I agree with Net Doc about using separate rigs for singles and doubles but I disagree about needing separate rigs for a skin and wetsuit. There just in that much advantage to it.

I'm not sure how to figure how heavy I am as I don't have any additional weights to ditch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom