Zeagle's Express Tech: The first and last BC most will ever need (or want)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think he may have passed on buying a ZT and bought something else.

Buyers remorse???

I think he may have passed on buying a ZT and bought something else.

Buyers remorse???
That just might explain it! I can see his sad face saying "I coulda dove a Tech Express!"

Hi all,

After the great feedback and comments and the tons of love in this post, I went out and bought the ET 2 weeks ago. And yesterday, bought 2 XSScuba quick release weight pockets and placed them on either side of the waist portion of the webbing. I also place 2 D ring at the chest area.

Got a few questions hope that can have some insight from the experts.

1. The bladder connection to the backplate - there are 3 pairs of rectangle metal pieces right ? 1 pair each to slide the hold to attach the bladder to the backplate. What is the 3rd pair for ? ie the middle pair.

2. Netdoc, can you explain how you install the bladder with the corrugated tube connector on your right shoulder ? And this question might sound silly but how do u dump air by pulling on the tube ? is it meant to be done that way ? I am afraid to pull on the tube and dislodging it.

This is the first time I am using a "wing" "plate" system, if the ET can be call as such. Also, have not dive with it, so still figuring things out.

3. How do you guys / Where do you guys attach your surface marker ? I tied a loop of nylon rope around one of the middle grommets holes and clip my surface marker to it. Not sure if it will hold up when I go diving. Any photos of how you all do it would be nice.

Thank you in advance.

1. The bladder connection to the backplate - there are 3 pairs of rectangle metal pieces right ? 1 pair each to slide the hold to attach the bladder to the backplate. What is the 3rd pair for ? ie the middle pair.
You really only need two.
2. Netdoc, can you explain how you install the bladder with the corrugated tube connector on your right shoulder ? And this question might sound silly but how do u dump air by pulling on the tube ? is it meant to be done that way ? I am afraid to pull on the tube and dislodging it.
I flipped my bladder over so that the normally top side of the bladder is facing towards my back. Mind you, I have done extensive mods to this system so that I can use as a sidemount system. It's not needed or wanted for single, back mounted diving. In fact, I have an unmodified Express Tech that has the bladder in the normal configuration. As for the tube dislodging: it has never happened to me. I have at least a couple hundred dives with no signs of that happening. I find it convenient.
This is the first time I am using a "wing" "plate" system, if the ET can be call as such. Also, have not dive with it, so still figuring things out.
I would call it a hybrid.
3. How do you guys / Where do you guys attach your surface marker ? I tied a loop of nylon rope around one of the middle grommets holes and clip my surface marker to it. Not sure if it will hold up when I go diving. Any photos of how you all do it would be nice.
I have added D-Rings all over the place. Most came from DeepSeaSupply.com.

FYI... I was visiting in Savannah, GA today and decided to stop into a local dive shop, Fantasia Scuba (I am not affiliated with them in any way) and they are having a sale on Zeagle equipment. They will order an ET for you (if you do it before Christmas) for $225.00. Just an FYI.

That's the going price just about everywhere.

Hi all,

After the great feedback and comments and the tons of love in this post, I went out and bought the ET 2 weeks ago. And yesterday, bought 2 XSScuba quick release weight pockets and placed them on either side of the waist portion of the webbing. I also place 2 D ring at the chest area.

Got a few questions hope that can have some insight from the experts.

Pretty much all Zeagle bladders fit all Zeagles, those are for installing the bladder on a different harness system

I add a 2" Dring and triglide to the lower tank band for clipping off surface markers and the like. It's actually easy to get to, is out of the way and keeps it from dangeling.

Thank you in advance.

IMO it is a BP/wing. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.

Thank you so much for the quick replies and sharing of experiences.

All these while (short while, quite new to diving), I only use the inflator to inflate and raise it above my head to release air for buoyancy control. I didn't know that we can actually pull on the corrugated tube. So, again sounding idiotic, instead of pressing the release air button on the inflator, i just pull hard on the whole corrugated tube ? Doesn't look "pull-able" on the ET.

There are also 2 pull strings on either side of the end of the U shaped bladder. Are they useful for releasing air as well ? I am thinking they might not be so useful as they are not in the upper most part of a diver (air being on top).

Thanks again.

I bought a Zeagle Tech Express as the replacement to my 18 year old BC.
One pool session then off to Malaysia and Indonesia.
1. It packs so small and so light, fantastic
2. It needs a crotch strap if diving with an Alu 80.
3. With an Alu 80 you need to set the tank very low with only one strap to avoid hitting the back of my head.
4. Dry's out very quickly
5. Added 3 D rings very useful.
6. It is slightly more difficult to float on the surface in waves, I can't float as high on my back.
7. Near perfect trim once I had removed the extra weight I used to use with my old BC.

In general it is fantastic for traveling and thats what I do.

Thank you so much for the quick replies and sharing of experiences.

All these while (short while, quite new to diving), I only use the inflator to inflate and raise it above my head to release air for buoyancy control. I didn't know that we can actually pull on the corrugated tube. So, again sounding idiotic, instead of pressing the release air button on the inflator, i just pull hard on the whole corrugated tube ? Doesn't look "pull-able" on the ET.

There are also 2 pull strings on either side of the end of the U shaped bladder. Are they useful for releasing air as well ? I am thinking they might not be so useful as they are not in the upper most part of a diver (air being on top).

Thanks again.

You can pull on the LP hose to deflate the wing. The T shaped part of the hose where it attaches to the bladder has a valve built into it. A metal wire runs from the LP inflator to valve inside the hose which opens the valve when you stretch the hose. To check the function of it with the BC off, you can inflate the bladder, hold the T shaped plastic piece at the bladder in one hand and pull the LP inflator with the other. Air will exit the T shped valve. Many of us (myself included) do not like using them due to the stress put on the bladder but it is there and that is it's purpose.
The lower dumps can also be useful. A lot of divers go down head first which moves air to the bottom of the bladder. To vent it from this position, you either have to move to a heads up position or just use the rear dumps.

I bought a Zeagle Tech Express as the replacement to my 18 year old BC.
One pool session then off to Malaysia and Indonesia.
1. It packs so small and so light, fantastic
2. It needs a crotch strap if diving with an Alu 80.
3. With an Alu 80 you need to set the tank very low with only one strap to avoid hitting the back of my head.

Tank type makes little difference. If the tank is not low enough, you need to add a couple of triglides and adjust the crotch strap. What happens is the shoulder straps work through the lower rings as you dive, moving the tank up and the waist band gets loose. If you retighten the waist band during the dive it only makes things worse. To prevent this from happening, you need to do 2 thing. First, add a triglide or weight keeper to the upper (shoulder side) of the harness just above the lower harness guides and adjust it to fit. This allows you to expand the harness to get in and out but prevents the shoulder straps from shorting past you setpoint. Then adjust the crotch strap to prevent the BP from moving up. There are photos of this on one of the many pages of this thread. A good many of us who dive the old double hose regs use this BP, one of the reasons is we can set the tank so low using the above method.
4. Dry's out very quickly
5. Added 3 D rings very useful.
6. It is slightly more difficult to float on the surface in waves, I can't float as high on my back.
7. Near perfect trim once I had removed the extra weight I used to use with my old BC.

In general it is fantastic for traveling and thats what I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom