Zeagle Scout with rear dump pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idivethere4iam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am considering moving from a Oceanic tour back inflate not a jacket with removable front weight pockets to a Zeagle scout with no front pockets but instead two rear mounted pockets with a touch fastener release and a 20-LB maximum total weight capacity.

The Oceanic I have now also has rear pockets but I have never used them for more than a pound or two each and wouldn't fit more than that.

My question is this. What is if anything the benefit to having only rear weight? I really like then Scout and its real comfortable but would hate to get into it only to find out I need to have more weight in the front. I am sure a I could fit a pound or two in the front pockets.

Guess im looking for some general advice, ideas, thoughts, banter or whatever you would like to give on the subject to help me make a well informed decision before my purchase.

Thanks
Steve

I have used the Scout for a couple years now...I put a 3 on each side("rear pockets) & the rest on a weight belt-- usually 2 2's or 2 3's-- OR a single 2 or 3 lb weight velcroed to the top cam band(depending on what exposure clothing I'm wearing) when diving in salt water.....

For very local fresh water(summer diving) I usually just put the 2 3's in the 'rear pockets' & need nothing else...I have been very comfortable in any manner I use the weights....

Last edited:
I have been diving a rear only scout for a good many years. I usually don't dive with much weight, none in fresh water and 4 lbs in salt water so weight is not really an issue for me. On occasion I do dive it with a heaver wet suit or dry suit and need a good bit more weight. I find that more than 10 lbs (5x2) in the rear tends to turtle me so any time I need more than 8 lbs or so I add a weight belt.

On occasion I do dive it with a heaver wet suit or dry suit and need a good bit more weight. I find that more than 10 lbs (5x2) in the rear tends to turtle me so any time I need more than 8 lbs or so I add a weight belt.

I experienced the same when I went from a 3/2mm to a 7mm.I needed more weight distribution in the front.I decided on a belt as well.I also did not want all of my weight on my BC,so this solved two issues.

I have been diving a Scout for two years. I really like it.

If you put more than 4lbs in each of the rear pockets you are going to turtle. However, you can add an additional few pounds to the top cam strap.

I carry most of my weight on a weight belt. I can't say that the absence of front weights on the Scout is good or bad, but it does make donning the unit underwater easier as the waist strap isn't burdened with weight.

I like the Scout since half of my dives involve flying to the dive site - I fit it in my carry-on. My only complaint is that a 24 lb lift bladder is wimpy if you are in a 7 mm x 2 piece wetsuit. This is no longer a problem, however, since I now have a drysuit.

I'm not trying to say anything negative about the Scout, to each his own.

Why would you want to use a BC vs a BP/W if not for the front mounted weights? If you're going to use a weight belt, it seems BP/W is the only way to go.

I use a Aeris LX, fyi, I'm not a BP/W guy. (yet) Just curios on why one would go with a belt vs integrated weights if they're going to drop the kind of cash required to pick up a Zeagle BP.

wow. Made it all the way to the 6th post before someone brought up bp/w this time.

ok I'll bite: The Scout is relatively inexpensive. bp/w aren't exactly cheap. The Scout has two small pockets which is all I really need. Easily adjustable since I dive a drysuit, 7mm fj/jacket or 4/3mm wetsuit. Quick release shoulder straps that I find necessary since pinching a nerve in my shoulder getting out of my old bc that didn't have them.

And not being weight integrated is a plus.

wow. Made it all the way to the 6th post before someone brought up bp/w this time.

ok I'll bite: The Scout is relatively inexpensive. bp/w aren't exactly cheap. The Scout has two small pockets which is all I really need. Easily adjustable since I dive a drysuit, 7mm fj/jacket or 4/3mm wetsuit. Quick release shoulder straps that I find necessary since pinching a nerve in my shoulder getting out of my old bc that didn't have them.

And not being weight integrated is a plus.

For me, my Scout cost a total of $230(shipped) about 3 years ago---my DR al BP, Oxycheq harness, & DR Travel wing with sex bolts was $245(shipped) a year ago---pretty much a wash....

I'm not trying to say anything negative about the Scout, to each his own.

Why would you want to use a BC vs a BP/W if not for the front mounted weights? If you're going to use a weight belt, it seems BP/W is the only way to go.

I use a Aeris LX, fyi, I'm not a BP/W guy. (yet) Just curios on why one would go with a belt vs integrated weights if they're going to drop the kind of cash required to pick up a Zeagle BP.

:rofl3: You have been sniffing too much of the BP coolaid. A lot of what you get from the BP/wing crowd is half truths. First off I do not like the single harness, it's less comfortable and a real pain in the rear to adjust or reconfigure- something no BP diver will tell you. Which is why most all of them own 2 or 3 if they dive widely different conditions. Sure you can get the adjustable harness...for an extra cost and it's not really pure BP/wing then...addition of failure points and all. I can adjust my standard BC underwater on the fly if needed, the BP must be removed, adjusted and tried again. I do not need the extra weight of a steel plate or for that matter an AL plate a lot of the time so I can't use either and would need a plastic one. But there are times I do need the weight so I would have to either buy 2 full setups or add weight to the plate. Adding weight to the plate will require me to buy weight pockets for the plate and still use a weight belt if I want to keep my trim correct. Cost is another issue, BP/wings tend to be fairly expensive, esp if you add the the rear weight pockets and adjustable harness, both of which come with Scout which was around $215 when I got it. BP/wings are great BCs for a lot of diving but are no where near the one size fits all, does all that the proponents tell you.

idive,

Sorry we kind of hijacked your thread. To answer your original question: it is common to use a weight built with out Scout depending on what situations you're diving in. Personally, I like it that way. I like to be able to keep some weight on a belt and hand my Scout up to the guys on the boat, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom