You're going to hate me but: What is the best regulator for me to get for 2015?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dallaskincaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I typically do between 60 and 100 dives per year. I've had 3 failures with my current zeagle rig. Thankfully none of the failures were life-threatening, but they were disconcerting enough to realize that its time to move on. I'm quite convinced its trying to kill me. Of course my regulator is regularly serviced by a reputable dive shop etc. None of the parts were due to bad maintenance, it was strange stuff like a ripped diaphragm or a cracked plastic piece that was causing a slow leak in the 1st stage. To be honest, for the amount I paid for the reg and how highly it was rated I was pretty surprised by the failures. This isn't an entry level regulator.

I don't typically dive cold water, but I may in the future. Will probably be heading in a more technical direction over the next year so I'm not opposed to DIN, etc.

And GO!

I typically do between 60 and 100 dives per year. I've had 3 failures with my current zeagle rig. Thankfully none of the failures were life-threatening, but they were disconcerting enough to realize that its time to move on. I'm quite convinced its trying to kill me. Of course my regulator is regularly serviced by a reputable dive shop etc. None of the parts were due to bad maintenance, it was strange stuff like a ripped diaphragm or a cracked plastic piece that was causing a slow leak in the 1st stage. To be honest, for the amount I paid for the reg and how highly it was rated I was pretty surprised by the failures. This isn't an entry level regulator.

I don't typically dive cold water, but I may in the future. Will probably be heading in a more technical direction over the next year so I'm not opposed to DIN, etc.

And GO!

Oh man. Your going to get everything from "fix your current regs they are fine" all the way through "XYZ brand is the best out there"

Its Ford vs Chevy.

Im partial to HOG regs these days as I have 5 sets, work on them myself (took the class) and parts are easy to get. Generally speaking - I believe that if you are having a local shop do your Reg Maintenance, the best option is to own whatever reg they have the most experience with as you will have a greater percentage chance that they are good with that reg. Truthfully - most modern regs are more similar than they are dissimilar.

I am by no means an expert but I do have a question: were any of the failures directly after service? It may just be random chance but I have heard the statement 'and I just had it serviced' too many times. I am currently running an E-Bay rig (Atomic T2 second with SP MK 25 1st) that I am very happy with but if I were were to replace it I think I would take a close look at the HOG rigs. The idea of personally maintaining and servicing it appeals to me because if a problem comes up in a remote location I would like to be able to have a shot at correcting it.

I'll have to say that once you lose faith in the life support equipment you're using, no matter what the cause you need to replace it. By continuing to use it you will always dive with a "mental black cloud". It may be merely psychological but it's enough to kill the pleasure of any dives you do. I'll echo what manni said....Ford Vs. Chevy here.

With that in mind, what features would you like in your next regulator set?

I dive Hogs and Atomics. Not sure which I like best. The Hogs are ultra cheap, but they tend to blossom in verdigris quite quickly. Atomics are bullet proof but they as sure as shootin' not cheap.

Most premature failures seem to be a combination of incompetent servicing, being manhandled by the user or some sort of combination of the two.

Always buy the most expensive regulator the dive shop has. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I tell ya, no matter what you have to have new regs. They will never regain your trust.

Now there are some fine regs out there. Atomic, Scubapro, etc... but me I am pretty much a sherwood man. Why? Parts. I can get them anywhere and most dive locations will have at least one shop that handles them.

And the truth is, in my opinion, all the big companies are making great regs. So mine may not be the sexiest on the boat but I can order the rebuild kits myself(gasp) and do my thing. And I have a chance to get parts in a pinch where ever I go.

So to sum it up...unless you get another set that has an unusual string of failures whatever you get is likely to be good.

One final thought. I would keep my tech regs and my rec regs as two different animals. But someone here will tell you just the opposite. So just buy what you like and see if it works for you.

If where to get serviced isn't an issue for you, you can't beat HOG for bang for buck. I have a fleet of them. Also, a great workhorse is are the Titans from Aqua Lung. If you've got the money and want the best.....Atomic and Apeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had someone I dive with suggest the apeks as well and that is what I'm leaning towards. The only thing that turned me off is that he had heard or read someplace that Zeagle was making the parts for the Apeks line, or vice versa?

---------- Post added December 26th, 2014 at 09:09 PM ----------

I am by no means an expert but I do have a question: were any of the failures directly after service?

Nope. I'd go 20-30 dives, then something else would be cracked/broken etc. Never the same thing and never right after service.

Back
Top Bottom