• Deep

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Wreck

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI:
ChickDiver has a point.

I teach caves, deco, wrecks,ice and deep I dive caves, wrecks, deep, Ice, deep wrecks, deep caves and deep ice.

Now, deep ice...that's something I haven't done.

DEEPLOU:
I do mostly wrecks what some of u guys would consider shallow, 100-140 ft range, but do BT of 30-60 min.

I don't do the most extreme dives in the world but as far as I'm concerned a 150ish with a 2+ hour run time is a significant dive.

For me, the depth isn't the objective. My deepest dive wasn't my best...and my shallowest wasn't my worst. I do the dive for the dive and the depth is just one of the things that I need to deal with. A good wreck at 100 ft is still a good wreck.

GDI:
and deep ice.

In FLORIDA?

Cripes, those hurricanes must have done more damage than I thought.

MikeFerrara:
I don't do the most extreme dives in the world but as far as I'm concerned a 150ish with a 2+ hour run time is a significant dive.

For me, the depth isn't the objective. My deepest dive wasn't my best...and my shallowest wasn't my worst. I do the dive for the dive and the depth is just one of the things that I need to deal with. A good wreck at 100 ft is still a good wreck.

I quess that's where you use a chain saw with the 12 foot blade :wink:

texdiveguy:
Hey guys not being a tek diver myself was just interested in knowing a bit more in terms of the most popular specialty.....I knew many of you are multi tallented but was just wanting your favorite or most active specialty.

Part of it comes from your location. Those near caves are going to be more apt to persue cave diving; while those away from caves are hard pressed to be anything other than vacation cave divers.

I probably would have moved towards caves if I was in the area where I could do so actively. However I don't have the opportunities available to truely do anything more than vacation cave diving... so I've not persued that avenue.

I'm a wreck diver. Why? Because that's what I have around here.

Now if you are looking for an answer that gets into desire? I enjoy wreck diving because I enjoy the history. I find I feel a sense of a connection to a wreck when I dive it, and I crave the knowledge of what happened to her... Wrecks hits on the historian side of my personality. It also touches on the treasure hunter gene that exists in lots of people, but I don't actively seak 'treasure' like some other wreck divers.

Cave diving piques my interest in the explorer side of things. Caves truely are places seen by very few people. Sure, not a lot of people have seen a wreck either [in the grand scheme of things], but over the life of that ship it has been seen by many... those that sailed it, those that saw it in port, or coming or going, or whatever. Caves on the other hand, have only been seen by other divers... or at least only by other divers since the time it may have flooded. It hits the explorer side of my personality.

Deep. Well, deep is definately a perspective thing, and I definately don't consider myself even close to 'deep'. But I'm not sure you will find many that do 'deep' for the sake of deep, but rather go deep because that's where the wreck lies, or the cave goes. In general, there's no real reason to go deep just for the sake of going deep... deep is just the side effect of going where you want to be.

I know it doesn't really answer your question, but it might get you a little closer to understanding why the question you ask doesn't really have a straight answer.

So I guess the straight answer is "wreck"... but that doesn't really give any hint to the explination above.

Spectre:
Part of it comes from your location. ...

Deep. Well, deep is definately a perspective thing, and I definately don't consider myself even close to 'deep'. But I'm not sure you will find many that do 'deep' for the sake of deep, but rather go deep because that's where the wreck lies, or the cave goes. In general, there's no real reason to go deep just for the sake of going deep... deep is just the side effect of going where you want to be.
For me, that 's a fact about "Deep." Back when water was made of rocks, I made a "Deep" (200ft) and a "Night" (when there's no sunlight) qualification dive, because they were required, so when 32 years later I qualified again I wasn't too interested.
Why? Deep is dark, and Night is dark.
Since then they've discovered light... we didn't have it back then, so now I can see stuff, and it's really cool! Okay, it was dark because my first dive school was the USN and the instructors were more interested in our behaviors in extreme situations than taking us sight-seeing.
But still, why go down if there's nothing to see? Must have an objective.
For me it's wrecks too. They're everywhere, and as ChickDiver said, wrecks that are deep are more pristine, therefore I will go deep.
Oh, someday maybe caves, no opportunity now.
Um, in case you check my profile, I'm not qualified wreck yet, so haven't done any penetrations, I will be finishing the basic course and doing the deep specialty in December.

Tom

I´m a wreckdiver. This last year has been about investing time, money and energy in increasing the odds of remaining a live one (read courses). There aren´t any caves around here and as there are so many wrecks/places I haven´t been yet caves aren´t a priority (even if the pictures/video I´ve seen have made it a long-term goal)...

I dive wrecks because...
part of it is that wrecks are really cool, the history and all the stuff spectre and chickdiver mentioned...the planning and playing around with different mixes and BT´s/RT´s are fun as well...

then there´s the "challenge aspect" of it, to me, wreckdiving requires a focus during the dive that motivate me to keep trying to improve my skills as a diver in a way nothing else does...that may be my biggest reason for loving wrecks...

if I only made OW/nature dives I might have gotten bored with the sport (of course I only started feeling that way after I started diving wrecks)

Those are my reasons anyway (as others have said, deep(for me) is a function of the objective not the objective itself)

MikeFerrara:

I try to keep my run times to about an hour. (using O2 @ 20ft) (no pee valve)

I think best dives/worst dives were the result of combinations of topside conditions, whose onboard, bottom conditions, whats found/seen. (I am sure I forgot some other things that have gone into the mix)

A friend once said that the only reason to do a deep wreck dive was that the captain of the ill fated vessel didn't have the courtesy to get his vessel sunk in shallow waters.

Spectre:
Part of it comes from your location. Those near caves are going to be more apt to persue cave diving; while those away from caves are hard pressed to be anything other than vacation cave divers..

Yeah, and those of us who live less than an hour form the caves DREAM of the Empress, the Doria and the U869. I really am thinking of spending my vacation in the St Lawrence this year..

Dammit, I guess I just have to make do with the room of tears or Dos Ojos this weekend....

Mike. Pez, Green,

Ok bust my chops

I was on a typing roll
deep ice, just another deep dive but through a hole, no 12 ft chain saw needed just lots of line

Green Manelishi Not to much here in Florida for this type of diving. More from my days back in Canuck land

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom