Your tank of choice for doubles ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I buy one or two LP72s just about every year at the scuba flea market. They go cheap. Just make sure they're not the coated ones.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

For me it's the twin 12 Litre steel Faber cylinders.

It's almost completely balanced "out of the box" and I've never met a dive that couldn't be done with those and a couple of 7 litre stages (or one 10L stage).

That said, I don't like doing an awful lot of hang time and I don't dive overly deep by technical standards. Within the parameters of my dives, however, they're perfect.

I should say that a 12 Litre Euro steel cylinder is similar in volume to an American 100cf but quite a bit lighter. I've dived with American twin 100's and I find them on the heavy side. If I were an American then my choice would probably fall to aluminium cylinders, like twin 80's or something.

Stages have to be aluminum for obvious reasons. Steel is only viable for the back.

R..

Thanks guys. Is there anyone who dives cold water/drysuit with AL-80s?

hate adding the additional weight on for them..... just go LP85 for the same height, and a bit more air at rated pressures...

I'll dive the AL80's when I'm teaching sometimes. Not ideal but I make them work with a couple of tank bands and 8 lb weights......and weight pockets........and a tail weight......and a big lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no one that I know of unless they were given a set, but they usually don't last long.

Think about it, you already have a minimum 10lb weight penalty vs. steel tanks just on buoyancy. Plus another 10lbs of extra weight on land compared to 85's or 72's, and it's just not worth it to carry an extra 20lbs in and out of the water for no reason.

I don't like ditchable weight...so the only way I can pull off diving AL80's and a drysuit is with a steel plate in freshwater...or ad a v weight. If I'm gonna add weight, it will be via my 120's.

Diving in a thin wetsuit, I love AL80's and LP85's....both are real backsavers.

Lp104s in my drysuit. Perfect in fresh water with Aluminum plate. Perfect in salt water with Steel plate. Nice and long so easy to trim (I'm 6'5") and unbelievable amounts of air when I get a cave fill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom