Your tank of choice for doubles ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This question really does depend on your body size. what you intend to use them for, and are you against multiple sets. LP85s are great because they are "light" and well balanced, but if you want to still do deeper, longer dives on wrecks then a slightly larger tank would be better like a HP100, 120, or LP 108.

The devil is always in the details

LP85s are great because they are "light" and well balanced, but if you want to still do deeper, longer dives on wrecks then a slightly larger tank would be better like a HP100, 120, or LP 108.

Lp85's have plenty of gas if you pump em up a little. I've done 300' dives on them and had plenty of reserve. I will dive Al80's down to about 200' if I'm wet and still comfortably pull a 25 min bottom time. It's all relative to what you are comfortable with and how much you love your spine.:)

Depends on the dive profile... I'm 6', 195 pds...so fairly "normal" sized for a guy. My personal preference is LP72's for Lake Michigan up to about 130'. Plenty of air, LIGHT...trim really nicely and really easy to manage. Dive em wet or dry. HP 100's dry.

I'm a big fan of steel in cold water.

"mission specific", so anything from AL63's (military manifold & DH reg), AL80's (summer wet suit), LP85's, HP100's, and thinking of putting my HP120's back together again.....

LP72's for all around use.
HP100's if I need a bit more gas or have access to them *borrow from buddies*
HP120's if I need the gas
LP104's if I need a sh!t-ton of gas.

I'm 6'4" so the length isn't an issue. I don't like AL80 doubles, much prefer the LP72's for all conditions, trim better for me and are significantly lighter.

LP72's for all around use..

scarce as hens teeth around here..... love to set up a pair or two of 7.25" ("modern thread").... just can't find them

Bob, what do you mean? No 72's came in 7.25" that I'm aware of.... All of mine are 6.9" using standard 3/4 valve threads. I do have the old sherwood narrow manifolds for them which is super nice but bands are hellaciously difficult to find.

My first 72's were 7.25, not sure what make, whatever the Canadian navy were using at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there was a LP/MP made that was 7.25" diameter..... Was a load of them for sale in Michigan about a year and a half ago that were from a school that ceased its scuba program..... almost made the trip....

no kidding, good to know. If I'm going through that though, I'd rather just get a set of PST100's and call it good. Not much heavier. I just have gotten all of my 72's for free and have only seen the PST 6.9's

Back
Top Bottom