Your most dramatic dive moment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most dramatic moment...

Whale Sharks? Cannibal Octopus? "Fresh" Shipwreck?

No....

Maldives, sunny day, easy drift dive.

Big yacht with big anchor.

6 or 7 naked ladies swimming 20' above us in the sunlight.

Damn, only 1500 p.s.i. left :(

Mine would be when I found my first Meg tooth at venice beach while shore diving with Reefguy! He also found a Meg tooth that day on the same dive. I also saw my first mantis shrimp on that dive!

Second would be my first wreck dive with ScubaPolly where we rented a 20' boat from John Pennecamp State Park and did two dives on the Spiegel Grove. So far, many of my dive experiences have been with SB members. That makes for some great fun!

Drewski:
turned to look for one of my buddies and suddenly became VERY disoriented. For some reason, I completely lost my sense of direction and even though I was looking at a marker on the permanent line showing the way OUT, I swore to God someone had reversed it and that I was swimming back IN. I tried to communicate this to my buddies via slate who both looked at me like I was crazy. Fortunately, I turned over lead to one of them and in a few yards we cleared the lips and I saw the gallery. To this date, that was the weirdest and scariest experience I’ve ever had underwater.

I know this would happen to me too. That's one of the reasons I don't feel any inclination to dive in caves. The risks are big enough without adding a little dyslexic navigation to the mix. It happens to me in cities too. I almost always end up remembering street maps in mirror image. I always have and I'm perpetually lost.

Oddly, I can navigate with millimetre precision as long as I'm not inside something. Same thing in the mountains. You could drop me 500km from the nearest landmark and I'd find my way out but as soon as I'm somewhere with streets or tunnels I can't find my way back to where I was 5 minutes ago....

Go figure.

R..

breaking my deepest dive by 2 feet. im pretty shallow but that is my most dramatic experience so far. i pushed the limits of that one:)

Swimming in the clear blue for 10 minutes with nothing but the ocean around and then having the Eye of the Needle pinnacle appear out of nowhere, surrounded by fish. Awesome!

drdiver1952:
Swimming in the clear blue for 10 minutes with nothing but the ocean around and then having the Eye of the Needle pinnacle appear out of nowhere, surrounded by fish. Awesome!

that is trully memorable. only seen than on tv

I know we learn our lessons, but this piece of drama was learned the hard way. I was only on my third open water dive, ever, in Cozumel, when another diver pushing her way ahead of me to get to a swimthrough, kicked back and knocked my reg out of my mouth. She came from behind me, first pushed me down then kicked back. I didn't and couldn't see her coming. So there I was, only on my third dive, with a huge mouth of salt water, my jaw and left cheek hurting and wanting to cough. My lungs were burning from inhaled salt water and my reg had floated somewhere behind me. I am thankful to say I kept my wits about me. Maybe it was the combination of great diving instruction (we practiced this in the pool among other emergencies ) and dealing with stressful situations over 25 years of nursing. Anyway, did my arm sweep, found the reg, put it in my mouth, purged, coughed, purged, breathed. What also added to this "fun" was that I was holding the girl away from me with my other arm as she was panicked, and grabbing at me when she realized what she had done. The only other thing I might have done was decended to get out of her way, however, she was holding on to me...... Oh, and BTW, my chat with the girl topside was polite, but stern. Quite like a MOMMY correction when you need to get the message across.....you know..FOCUS, LISTEN and UNDERSTAND ME. She apologized. Anyway, I am here to write about it, I hope it is a lesson that neither of us will ever forget.

Sue Sue:
I know we learn our lessons, but this piece of drama was learned the hard way. I was only on my third open water dive, ever, in Cozumel, when another diver pushing her way ahead of me to get to a swimthrough, kicked back and knocked my reg out of my mouth. She came from behind me, first pushed me down then kicked back. I didn't and couldn't see her coming. So there I was, only on my third dive, with a huge mouth of salt water, my jaw and left cheek hurting and wanting to cough. My lungs were burning from inhaled salt water and my reg had floated somewhere behind me. I am thankful to say I kept my wits about me. Maybe it was the combination of great diving instruction (we practiced this in the pool among other emergencies ) and dealing with stressful situations over 25 years of nursing. Anyway, did my arm sweep, found the reg, put it in my mouth, purged, coughed, purged, breathed. What also added to this "fun" was that I was holding the girl away from me with my other arm as she was panicked, and grabbing at me when she realized what she had done. The only other thing I might have done was decended to get out of her way, however, she was holding on to me...... Oh, and BTW, my chat with the girl topside was polite, but stern. Quite like a MOMMY correction when you need to get the message across.....you know..FOCUS, LISTEN and UNDERSTAND ME. She apologized. Anyway, I am here to write about it, I hope it is a lesson that neither of us will ever forget.

Wow! You should be very proud of yourself for handling this so well.

I also got a good lesson in why we drill these things soon after getting certified. I was swimming along a wall with a group and while I was watching the neat stuff on the wall I crept up behind the diver in front of me. When I turned around again to look where I was going I got a flash of a flipper and then *WHAM* mask and regulator both gone... I was able to work through it and was really more annoyed at myself for not paying attention but I was proud of myself for keeping my head.

R..

:D Swimming up through a huge school of hammerhead sharks.
:D Being brushed (amazingly gently) by a manta on a night dive.
:D Swimming with a blue whale.
:D Joining the five fathoms club with my wife. :07:
:11: Being two decks down and 100 feet inside a wreck and having a wardrobe fall on top of me.
:11: Jumping into the water negatively bouyant with my gas turned off.
:11: Three of four divers free-flowing at 120ft during a gas switch in 34F water.

Watching a friendly little jawfish for nearly an entire tank of gas.

What can I say, it's the little things.

Back
Top Bottom