Your most dramatic dive moment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy:
Last year, in Key Largo, diving the Eagle.

................................I skipped the second dive, and went home a day early. Man was I ever pissed. He made the second dive and was headed back out the next morning while I was packing up.

ReefGuy? That was you? Thanks for helping me out...I appreciated that.

J

Eating snakes (like the jelly type candy snakes) at whilst descending to see if it made popping ears easier. Didn't realise, until that moment, just how much you breathe when you chew...

Z...

My most memorable dive was when I finally realized that diving wasn't all about
heading to the sand to record the deepest spot on your computer for bragging rights back on the boat. I seem to remember that a small group of us used to do this during our first OW dives just for the novelty of it. But, it didnt take us long to figure out that your bottom time was directly related to how deep you go and how long you stayed there. As we progressed to AOW it was no longer about how deep we went but how well we managed our gas. Aint maturity swell?

Well i had my most dramatic dive moment this past weekend. Myself and The Natural as well as my brother headed out to a wreck off NJ lying in about 70 ft. of water on my boat, a 30' twin diesel express. This was our first time hooking into a wreck on our boat, testing out the down line and granny line setup, etc.

4-5 chop, with 20 kt. sse winds but we decided to give it a go. We hooked up amazingly the second shot. I proceeded in the water alone only to do a quick bounce to make sure we were hooked in by the wreck, success, so i head back up to signal for the other two divers to come into the water. Well they were not quite geared up so i hang on the drift line behind the boat in the wind driven slop for about 15-20 min.

Finally, everyone is in the water and our little trio descends down the anchor line leaving my father on the boat to stand watch. Due to the sea conditions, we decided on one dive since no one really would appreciate sitting hooked up in 4-5 chop for a 2 hour SIT...not fun. I figure lets take care of business right away with the anchor trip system (danforth) so i can explore a bit after. I look at the anchor and its dug in nice in the sand 3 ft. from the wreck, couldn't do that again if i tried. So i figure, let me attach the lift bag now and only partially inflate it so i have some visibility of the anchor position and am somewhat there when the time comes. Well, this was my first time using a lift bag....i overinflated...by alot. It pulled the anchor out and here i am being shot to the surface and dragged along by a 12000 lb. boat propelled by 20 kt. winds...me...bag...anchor...and all.

I quick reach for the dump and vent some air, it slows the ascent. some how I managed to jam the flukes under a HUGE 4" bow rail on the sunken clam dredge. Barely in time. I secure it and figure, let me calm down, check out the wreck a little bit then come back with a clear head.

So now its time to ascend and the trio is at the anchor line once again. Now i am adding the disposable piece of sisel line that is to hold the boat to the wreck. The point is to break free upon reverse so as to free the anchor and float it to the surface with the lift bag, free of the wreck. So i tie it in on the bow rail un-jam the anchor..everything looks good, so i turn around to motion to my brother to ascend as he is approaching 1000 psi. Just as i turn out of the corner of my eye i see the line snap and the anchor is free once again. I quick grab the anchor and BARELY...and I just mean BARELY am able to jam it on the bow rail down current before all there is left is water and sand.

Now i am frantic and using air quick. I violently motion to my brother to ascend up the line as i wasn't sure how much longer this would hold. Ascending up a free anchor line is better then a full fledged free ascent. The Natural (Mark) stayed with me until the situation was under control. At which time we made our ascent and reached the boat.

Back
Top Bottom