Your most dramatic dive moment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were diving in 20' of water on Lake Greason in Ark. I had burned one tank that morning and decided to snorkling while two buds were diving with tanks on a catfish den below me. As I free-dove to watch, I felt a sharp pain in my back and a pull so I started back up. The pain increased and I couldn't reach the surface. I realised I was hooked on a troutline, through my nylon knit shirt and into my back. Looking down I could see my friends blissfully ignorant of my plight. Looking up I could see the bottom of the boat with my cousin and another friend in it, but they couldn't see me. As I started to see black spots, (not a good sign) I finally relaxed and pulled the shirt over my head ripping the hook out and broke the surface.

Lessons worth note:
1. Don't dive by yourself, even if others are in the water.
2. Always carry a knife (Mine was useless in the boat with my other gear).
3. If you don't panic, even when you do stupid things, you might survive.

My first deep dive in St. Lucia, (for my AOW), 110' at the base of one of the Pitons...could look straight up to the surface and see the sunlight.....through the throngs of beautiful coral,schools of fish....awesome!

Best and second best:

Best dive experience was the second time doing the Manta Ray night Dive in Kona. There were several mantas at the entry point of our dive boat so we had to be very selective on when we entered the water.

After entering, three manta's decided that they were my personal dive buddies. It took me 12 minutes (per my computer) to descend 20 - 24 feet. I actually had to cover my mask with my arms to keep the mantas from knocking it off. Anyhow, I finally arrived at the "Campfire - if you've done the dive you know" with three mantas in tow. Quite an awesome experience.

#2.

Dive on North Dry Rocks in Key Largo. This is the same area as the Christ Statute. Anyhow, one area between the coral was completely full of minnows. Each person in our group slowly swam through the minnow school (probably about 20 feet). You were fully enveloped with the little guys and could see nothing but silver all around. Was the #1 experience until the Manta ray dive.

Hmmm... I've had so many, where to begin. I guess one of my favorites was the last time I was in Cozumel. There were 4 of us diving the Chakanaab reef when all of a sudden one of those submarines with tourists on it appeared. I swam up next to it and looked in the windows. All of the people inside were waving and taking pictures of us. I bet there was at least one person in there who thought, "Wow, I've gotta try that!" Nothing like being an ambassador to Scuba.

Keith

Big Jay:
What was it?

Could be anything.

I've been diving too long to remember all of my dives but I have very fond memories of my first night dive, my first dive with seals.

My worst experience was rescuing another diver (not my buddy) in deep water who had gotten tangled up in a ball of discarded fishing line. He survived but it put three divers in grave danger (the guy, me and my buddy) and it scared the bejezus out of me.

R..

OW Dive #2 - My unbalanced rental reg clogged up from rust in my crappy rental tank while I was practiving removing my mask @ 40ft. Pop the mask off and on, take a breath to clear - nothing. Feel around for my instructor's octo, do the "out of air sign", wait as long as I can, finally CESA. Turns out my instructor was watching someone else remove/replace their mask behind me. When he saw me go up, he grabbed my fins to slow me down thinking I had air in my lungs. Fun!

staticcornflake:
OW Dive #2 - My unbalanced rental reg clogged up from rust in my crappy rental tank while I was practiving removing my mask @ 40ft. Pop the mask off and on, take a breath to clear - nothing. Feel around for my instructor's octo, do the "out of air sign", wait as long as I can, finally CESA. Turns out my instructor was watching someone else remove/replace their mask behind me. When he saw me go up, he grabbed my fins to slow me down thinking I had air in my lungs. Fun!

Here's my version of OW#2:
Fajardo Puerto Rico, two students doing OW dives, I'm on day 2, other on day 1. Since we are doing different things the instructor is moving between us. The other student had mask issues and we used up a lot of time. When we surfaced the instructor sent the other student to the boat and told me that we only had CESA to do. I pointed out that my air was low. She said that we were just going to go to the bottom and come right up. Fine. We go to ~35ft, I take a breath: nothing. No air in my lungs, none in the tank. I make the "out of air" sign, she nods. I make it again; she nods. I grab for her octo, she holds it back (she thought I was confused about the directions).

I exit: stage up. Controlled Emergency Screaming Ascent.

Apparently I did it exactly right; she signed off for my card.

Next day I did my first dive in Barbados. I dold the DM that I was a clueless newbie and she kept an eye on me. As I ran low on air, I found her and told her I was going up. Later she congratulated my on being very good about watching my guages! If she only knew.

Having a 2000# Tuna pass within 10ft of me!

There have been a few dramatic moments, like watching a panicing diver knock the light out of my buddy's hand and bolt for the surface halfway down the line on a 90' coldwater night dive, but I think the winner for me has to be when 7 of us surfaced from a dive in Belize and the boat was nowhere in sight. Two hours later it came back for us.

Back
Top Bottom