Your Help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) Brag shamelessly about how you are the world's greatest diver
2) Feel free to take the wheel of the boat and show the captain how it's done
3) Shove others out of the way who are trying to get up the dive boat ladder ahead of you ... after all, it's your vacay
4) Take charge and be a true leader these DM's would love to let you run the show
5) Aimlessly take pics with your camera and don't worry if the rest of the dive group is waiting on you.. let them wait

You will be admired and enjoyed by all. Enjoy Coz... it's your world, we're just living in it.

Do NOT go diving anywhere unless you know how to use your dive computer beyond just knowing how to turn it on.. READ THE MANUAL !!!

If you own your own dive computer put a new battery in it before you leave for your dive trip whether you think it needs one or not. Take a spare battery with you, lithium batteries have a shelf life of over 10 years (shelf life doesn't mean operating life). Divers will spend thousands of dollars on a dive trip but won't spend $10.00 for a new battery that will save their whole trip.

Do not rent a dive computer from a dive op unless you know how to fully operate it and it comes with a manual that you can read before you go diving.

In my humble opinion (and from seeing the clueless faces on many divers, several of which were very very close to being a disaster), I would be willing to bet that this gets more divers in trouble than any other aspect of diving.. bar none !!

I have observed divers that go the whole dive without ever looking at their computer.. just following the group.

Buddies or other divers in a group can help a diver with most visible UW problems but they can't help (and wouldn't even know) if a diver doesn't know their computer or what it is reading while on a dive.

I have so many stories I could post all involving dive computers but the craziest one was watching a diver's computer go into Lock Up Deco mode and what did that diver do.. went to the dive shop and rented one so she could continue diving like nothing had happened.

or.. two foreigners that were used to "bars" and "meters" renting dive computers showing "psi" and "feet" and going into Deco mode (as well as almost out of air) before they signaled anything to the other divers, and then just pointing to the dive computer with a puzzled look on their face.

or.. numerous divers that never look at their dive computer while packing only to show up at the dive resort with a dead battery and dead computer. Then spending the day running all over the island looking for a battery that you would be lucky to find in the states. I bet I've seen this 10 or 15 times just myself. One had a battery that could only be purchased from Europe.

on and on and on..

Excellent suggestions on learning your dive computer but you left out one important aspect.

Learn how to set the alert signals and make sure they are set appropriately for the diving you will be doing BEFORE you splash. Nothing more annoying than having a peaceful dive interrupted by a dive computer beeping incessantly throughout the entire dive!

asterick.gif And do ensure that old lithium batteries are turned in at recycling sites - computers, cell phones, etc. I take mine to Radio Shack.

1) Trust your intuition and instincts. Speak with your dive op about your limits and concerns. If you are not comfortable with certain types of dives i.e. swim throughs, wrecks, deep dives etc. Learn to speak up and come up with a back up plan. You may encounter pressure, whether it is internal or external to commit to dives that are beyond your comfort zone. Along this same vein is to listen to what your body is telling you. Pay attention to your ears and sinuses. There is nothing wrong with sitting out a dive due to a bad 'hunch' you feel or that nagging pain in your ear. You need to be your biggest advocate.

2) Learn to appreciate the small stuff. Sure I get excited when I encounter the crowd pleasers like the sharks, turtles, eagle rays etc. However, try not to over look the amazing micro creatures. Look into the barrel and tube sponges for the baby trunk fish, spotted drums and nudibranchs. These finds are offer numerous rewards and challenges.

3) Ask for feedback from your DM as to what you need to improve upon. Sometimes criticism stings, but the better the diver you are, the more you will enjoy the sport and reap its rewards.

4) If you absolutely must pee in your wetsuit, PLEASE make an effort to flush and purge(pulling the collar of your wetsuit open, hence allowing fresh water to rush in and push it back out) before entering the boat and removing your boots. These captains and dive ops take great pride in their boats. They don't want their vessel to advertise to the rest of the world that the Urinator was on board.

Remember this little tidbit, winds from the North, current from the South, interesting things happen.
Keep alert when diving...
Know your gear...
Enjoy...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom