Your Help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darol

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
OK, let's say you were asked by a couple of newly certified divers, on their first
trip, and first dives in Cozumel, for some useful information. What would you share?

Tell them to sign up for AOW at the dive resort! They will likely be the only students - private lessons for group rates. Plus, they will have their own private dive guide on their boat dives. Yes, they will have to devote a little time to watching videos, but you have to get out of the water once in a while. When the class is finished, they will have additional dives under their belts under supervision making the transition much easier and less stressful.

If they don't want to take a class, tell them to hire a private dive guide to show them the ropes. Once they are comfortable with the diving, they can go off on their own.

plus: Don't drink the tap water. Skip or minimize alcohol intake. Use sunscreen. Have a wonderful time. Make reservations for their return trip as soon as they get home... :)

Give them the URL for my webpage so they can read my trip reports and look at lots of pretty pictures:

http://chemistry.csudh.edu/faculty/jim/Jim'sWeb_Page.htm

Tell them, if they have any specific questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Hire a private divemaster for the first day. Listen to the divemaster and boat captain and do what they tell you. Don't boast about your diving skills, you might be surprised to find your the worst of the group. Do the safety stops--I've seen so many newbie blow right thru to the surface. Definately relax and keep your breathing constant to keep bouyancy, even thou you will be so excited about the diving.

Do everything they can to master their buoyancy, learn how to dive without using your hands, & keep an eye on everyone in the water with you in case there's a situation that needs your help.

OK, let's say you were asked by a couple of newly certified divers, on their first
trip, and first dives in Cozumel, for some useful information. What would you share?

Assuming you are talking about diving (as opposed to just hanging out in Coz), and assuming these seem reasonably intelligent people, I would probably draw on my experience in my former life as a boss/coach/supervisor. That is, rather than presume that they don't already know what I will say, I would probably turn it around and put it back to them with a more open-ended, questioning approach such as: what are the key things you remember from your training, what are your greatest concerns about diving here (or anywhere else), what do you think your strengths are and where do you need work. That sort of thing. That gives you a more precise way of zeroing in on a helpful discussion, and oftentimes they think their way through the problem solving exercise. This might not be a universally loved approach (sometimes people just want a straightforward answer from a presumed subject matter expert), but my staff told me over and over again during performance reviews that this was a learning style they really liked and appreciated, in part because of its respectfulness.

Make sure you have DAN insurance.

Hire private DM for first dives.

Dive with a recommended Dive OP.

Take it slow. No hurries, no worries.

Get a smb, whistle and mirror...

Know the boat name and radio frequency the boat will be on.

Take a computer, watch your gas. Stay close to the wall or reef so you don't drift, find shelter under the reef from those currents.

Listen to the dm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom