Your Help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask the DM or the Captain where the PFDs are, ask to see the oxygen. Don't be quiet, ask the questions during the briefing. Believe it or not the DM and the Captain are very proud to show you the boat and answer questions. Ask others around you, divers are a good group of people and are always happy to help. Ask about emergency recall signals, if you are unsure of what the dive plan is ask before you get in the water. Relax and have fun!

Go with the flow. Let the current do the work and relax. New divers tend to kick too much in general and way too much drift diving. Watch your depth. It's easy to exceed your planned depth on the walls. No more than that. People can only remember about three things at once and they'll already be remembering to keep breathing.

Do NOT go diving anywhere unless you know how to use your dive computer beyond just knowing how to turn it on.. READ THE MANUAL !!!

If you own your own dive computer put a new battery in it before you leave for your dive trip whether you think it needs one or not. Take a spare battery with you, lithium batteries have a shelf life of over 10 years (shelf life doesn't mean operating life). Divers will spend thousands of dollars on a dive trip but won't spend $10.00 for a new battery that will save their whole trip.

Do not rent a dive computer from a dive op unless you know how to fully operate it and it comes with a manual that you can read before you go diving.

In my humble opinion (and from seeing the clueless faces on many divers, several of which were very very close to being a disaster), I would be willing to bet that this gets more divers in trouble than any other aspect of diving.. bar none !!

I have observed divers that go the whole dive without ever looking at their computer.. just following the group.

Buddies or other divers in a group can help a diver with most visible UW problems but they can't help (and wouldn't even know) if a diver doesn't know their computer or what it is reading while on a dive.

I have so many stories I could post all involving dive computers but the craziest one was watching a diver's computer go into Lock Up Deco mode and what did that diver do.. went to the dive shop and rented one so she could continue diving like nothing had happened.

or.. two foreigners that were used to "bars" and "meters" renting dive computers showing "psi" and "feet" and going into Deco mode (as well as almost out of air) before they signaled anything to the other divers, and then just pointing to the dive computer with a puzzled look on their face.

or.. numerous divers that never look at their dive computer while packing only to show up at the dive resort with a dead battery and dead computer. Then spending the day running all over the island looking for a battery that you would be lucky to find in the states. I bet I've seen this 10 or 15 times just myself. One had a battery that could only be purchased from Europe.

on and on and on..

Last edited:
Bring your own regs and computer.
Bring an SMB and a finger spool with 100ft. of line.
Pay attention to the dive briefing.
Watch your gauges.
Relax

---------- Post added January 23rd, 2013 at 07:07 AM ----------

Search youtube for SMB deployment techniques.

Great suggestions, so I have little to add, except consider the private DM for more than one day, even if they determin on the first day that you are OK without. Let him/her show you what you will not see on your own or in a larger group. Ask them questions about dving in a current and they'll give you great suggestions. Definately talk to your DM, private or no, about any skill drills you might like to do BEFORE the dive. If you plan on deploying an SMB, especially since the assumption is that this is for new divers who likely have little or no experience doing this, talk to the DM first. Great idea to leave the camera behind for a bit, and if they do bring it, be careful not to separate from the group if no private DM. If they have a simple camera and a private DM, give the camera to the DM and they will likely take a few shots for you (remember this when tip time comes).

All good points. Asking for clarification if something is not understood on the boat or with the plan... No such thing as a dumb question. I learned a whole lot from just observing my DM, his buoyancy and the way he held himself. I went from a flailing around "swimmer" to being calm and quiet.... and now always have plenty of air at the end. The suggestion to do the AUW course is a good one too. It's like having a private DM as you continue your training.

Do NOT go diving anywhere unless you know how to use your dive computer beyond just knowing how to turn it on.. READ THE MANUAL !!!

If you own your own dive computer put a new battery in it before you leave for your dive trip whether you think it needs one or not. Take a spare battery with you, lithium batteries have a shelf life of over 10 years (shelf life doesn't mean operating life). Divers will spend thousands of dollars on a dive trip but won't spend $10.00 for a new battery that will save their whole trip.
How about Study the manual? Yeah, they need to know it well. Simulated dives help a lot.

I get batteries 5/$1 on ebay, free shipping. China has a treaty with the US that lets them mail for almost nothing, and the batteries have always been good. Allow a month for delivery.

Bring your own regs and computer.
Bring an SMB and a finger spool with 100ft. of line.
I cut mine down to 30 ft so it'll be easy to roll up if I drop it. :eek: I've never used it deeper. But I would not suggest the spool for newbies - too much to learn too fast. Just carry the SMB in case you need it on the surface but ascend close to the DMs.

Thanks Don, wish I wasn't leaving so soon, wait, I take that back. Wish I was there....:wink:

Thanks Don, wish I wasn't leaving so soon, wait, I take that back. Wish I was there....:wink:
Of course it varies with which computer & which battery. My Oceanic Versa Pro is so old that I had to replace the boot last year - cracked and falling apart. Fortunately google found me a good buy on one. It was challenging to get the computer in for some reason, my memory is foggy, but my home dive bud sells & repairs vacuum and sewing machines - any brand, any generation, so it didn't take him long. I have him do my computer battery changes as well. :wink:

But the CR2450 is common among computers and many other electronics, even my first CO analyzer, so Radio Shack carries them. I remember how insulted I felt to pay $5 or $10 for one just days before a trip when I noticed I was short. :mad: And still, prices vary a lot over time, and I guess they are up for now...
Here is a package of 2 for $1.16, free shipping: 2X 3V CR2450 2450 DL2450 ECR2450 5029LC CR 2450 Lithium Button Cell Coin Battery | eBay
Or 5 for $1.96: 5 x CR2450 2450 DL2450 ECR2450 5029LC Button Battery | eBay

But if you're leaving in a week, there are US sellers...
Here is 1 for $1.36 CR2450 Lithium Cell Battery DL2450 2450 Made in Japan Great Free USA Shipping | eBay
Or 2 for $1.95: 2 PC New CR2450 CR 2450 3V Lithium Battery TC | eBay
So whichever model you need, look there, shopping New only, and US sellers if you're in a hurry.

As you said, Lithium batteries have a shelf life of years so even if it's old stock and/or unknown brand, doesn't matter. It's quite different for cell phones & rechargeable batteries, which I have shopped a lot for my family and my dive bud's. For those, I make sure to shop New OEM for your make & model as there are sellers who will send tested, used batteries if you are not careful, and off brands that can even be dangerous. NiMH batteries for cordless phones and cameras are different still, but I am rambling... :blush:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom