Your Best Instructor and Why:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Who has been your best Scuba instructor and why?

I would say that my best instructor thus far has been Joe of 5thd-X because he convinced me I could be a better diver than I thought I could be, and pushed me in that direction with the tools needed to get there ... I'm nearly where he pointed me and ready for a new goal now - Thanks Joe for setting goals beyond my reach, but within reason :D

Aloha, Tim

P.S. only rule is no negative stories ... you can put those in another thread :wink:

Uncle Pug.

Because he showed me where my skills were lacking without belittling me.
Because he showed me how to improve those skills without being condescending.
Because he told me where I needed to improve without making me feel stupid.
Because he answered my questions without making me feel like an idiot.
Because he was patient despite my own frustration.
Because he took the time to help me.

Snowbear:

These should be printed in BOLD in every Instructor training guide out there. And should be every Instructor's mantra.

Snowbear:
Uncle Pug.

HEAR! HEAR!!

Good job with that!!

Landon from diveidc. Without him, his patience, positive attitude, willingness to help someone work through a significant problem, I would have never made it past my first OW class and wouldn't be diving today. :)

Edit: Alcina, I completely agree. They should be printed in bold... not just for diving instructors!

My OW class was co-taught by two fabulous instructors, Ken Nemeth and Kendra Kirz (who taught Ken to dive). Ken is still an active instructor in the Atlanta area. Unfortunately, Kendra has retired from teaching. They presented the material in a manner that made learning to dive easy even for someone like me who always had difficulty with anything in the water. They gave me confidence in my ability. I didn't have ability in the water when I came to them, so I had nothing in which to have confidence. They built that ability in me from almost nothing and along the way showed me how far I'd come. They should be every instructor's role models and their methods should become common place.

The next great instructor I had was a man who never issued me a card. I never took a formal class from John Riddick, but I worked with him on dive charters for almost seven years. John is tough, he is rough around the edges, but he knows more about the practical application of diving than anyone I've ever met. He showed me why things I'd learned in various classes and in dive textbooks are not always best. My wish is that if I'm ever in trouble in the water, John will be my rescuer. The man is without peer.

Finally, I took Nitrox from a man with whom I sometimes team teach. Frankly, I taught myself nitrox long before I broke down and took the course. Mike Brady (MB on this board) was aware I already understood nitrox. He adapted his course to not only test my knowledge and to push me, but also to make sure I would have no trouble transitioning into teaching Nitrox. When I took my Nitrox Instructor course from Joel Silverstein (who wrote the nitrox text for NAUI, YMCA and the nitrox section of the NOAA Diving Manual), all I really needed was the transition to Y standards. My feeling for Joel is that he could also easily make this list, but I simply did not spend enough time with him for him to have such an impact on me.

My best instructor continues to be my best instructor, my instructor is a course director now and her husband is an instructor. They have both given me tons of personal time, and training. They have seen me barely survive open water to go on to become a divemaster never hesitating about my abilities and taking as much personal time to help out as I needed. At this point we are very good friends and confidants. I love mrs. instructor due to her knowledge and support and mr. instructor due to his tweaking knowledge and wanting to do any crazy dive I ask. We went to Bonaire in November, did my night dive speciality and he also was the only one who did a dawn dive with me which was fantastic. I have been spoiled and I so much appreciate it, they are also very up to date with PADI information so one call and I know I have the correct information. Recently I was elected as local dive club vice president and mr. instructor is president so I know he will continue to share and give me great information. Would be wonderful if all new divers could have and continue to have such a wonderful support system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom