You need to dive this weekend! +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Conditions in Jupiter were STUNNING today! Went out on Blue Tang and dived Loggerhead and Tunnels. Visibility was easily 80 to 100 ft on Loggerhead and 70 ft on Tunnels. Current was moving at a nice clip and fish were everywhere. We saw three reef sharks on Loggerhead which is not typical. I lost count of turtles when I hit 26. Unbelievable! More sharks on Tunnels and lots of goliaths and more turtles. There was a group of open water students from Dive Odyssey in Fort Pierce. What exciting certification dives they had. Back out tomorrow.

We hopped on the JDC afternoon trip. Scarface had 3 reef sharks, a nurse shark or two, tons of turtles, and a MANTA! Then did lighthouse to loggerhead, saw even more turtles, 3 reef sharks, some GG's, etc.

NICE on the Manta! Rare around here. Those must have been the same three reefs sharks we saw on Loggerhead. It's nice to see sharks spreading out their territory.

I was kinda hoping to delay to next weekend. Guess I'll call Pennekamp tomorrow to go out this weekend lol

Four people now have said.. "Good current, Stiff current, Current was moving" -- How moving? I like some current for miniseason because I can glide a bit further per kcik stroke and when I find one of those smoking holes where someone missed a critter I can hang out a few minutes until it clears then get the critter.

Strictly my amatuer understanding of the currents your experience may vary (due to fitness trim or mass :p)

1/2 to 3/4 -- Nice coasting along can hold in place fairly easily
1 kt --- Fat people and Neewbs panting with a constant bubble stream
2 kt --- Nearly impossible to make headway. Really have to streamlight and kick like hell
3kt+ -- Can't make headway -- your mask hums in the water and your hoses swish back and forth
4kt and + -- Your mask gets ripped off.. you have to bite on your reg to keep it in and the purge button will self purge if you are face first in the current

well Pennekamp is 22kts with 5-7ft seas "we haven't cancelled ... yet"

so I'm staying home lol

thnx for the reports

I would call it moderate (for Jupiter...it would be "ripping" further south.) Decent pace for lobstering if you can spot them up ahead. Difficult to kick back up current, but not impossible.

well Pennekamp is 22kts with 5-7ft seas "we haven't cancelled ... yet"

so I'm staying home lol

Yeah, it was 3-5' today on the Duane. Bit sloppy but not too horrendous. Great viz and mild current.

Four people now have said.. "Good current, Stiff current, Current was moving" -- How moving? I like some current for miniseason because I can glide a bit further per kcik stroke and when I find one of those smoking holes where someone missed a critter I can hang out a few minutes until it clears then get the critter.

Strictly my amatuer understanding of the currents your experience may vary (due to fitness trim or mass :p)

1/2 to 3/4 -- Nice coasting along can hold in place fairly easily
1 kt --- Fat people and Neewbs panting with a constant bubble stream
2 kt --- Nearly impossible to make headway. Really have to streamlight and kick like hell
3kt+ -- Can't make headway -- your mask hums in the water and your hoses swish back and forth
4kt and + -- Your mask gets ripped off.. you have to bite on your reg to keep it in and the purge button will self purge if you are face first in the current

Not sure how good of a judge I am of this, but the DM and another diver estimated that the current on Area 51 in Jupiter/Juno was 2-3 kts yesterday: it was difficult to swim up stream unless one dropped onto the lee side of a reef outcropping. Current on Tunnels was much less intense.

By the way, vis was fantastic in Jupiter/Juno yesterday!!! Probably the best I've ever seen on Tunnels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom