Trip Report A week with Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Sunday

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A quick Cozumel trip report.

I have just returned from Cozumel where I did six days diving with Aldora. I could not be happier with the experience. This was my first trip to Mexico since I was a child. I can typically be found somewhere in Asia but wanted to give Mexico a try.

It’s a direct flight from Seattle to Cancun and a quarter of the flight time I am used to. Tickets were under $400 and we were even bumped to business class on the way down.

Aldora was professional and fun. I almost chose 3P’s but as I was diving alone I did not want to get paired up with multiple random divers and run the risk of short dives etc. With Aldora, it's dive as a group so I knew we would be coming up together at max bottom time. This worked out well for me.

I dove with Mario all week and met a bunch of great people. Made some new friends.
Our average bottom time was 84.5 minutes with the shortest at 63 minutes and the longest at 100 min.

I used an HP117, Titanium BP, and 4lbs. of lead in trim pockets wearing a 3mm full-suit & Tech Shorts.
Weighting was perfect for the HP Steel tank.
Nitrox was consistently filled to +/- 3700psi.

Visibility was easily well over 100’ at times and water was 85 degrees for the most part.

As for critters, I was able to fulfill a lifelong dream of diving with a Hammerhead. We came out of a swim-through at Colombia Deep at 100’ to be greeted by a large Smooth Hammerhead at about 120’. Amazing experience.

Other highlights were Nurse Sharks, Green, Hawksbill, and Loggerhead Turtles, Spotted Eagle Ray, massive Green Moray Eels, Lobster, and a tiny Leaf Crab.

Food was far more expensive than I am used to in SE Asia but it was delicious.
Favorites were Mr. Taco, Guisados, Colores Y Sabores, & Crazy King Burrito.

We stayed at Casa Mexicana. Great location, clean rooms, friendly staff, and a good breakfast buffet ready prior to Aldora pickup. I was able to get in a couple of cups of coffee, fruit, and a made-to-order omelet and waffle every morning. The pier to be picked up is practically out the front door.

When I was not diving I was with my wife and son at one of the many Playa’s. We rented a car and made stops all over. We fell in love with Playa Palancar and enjoyed the Money Bar too. I was able to get dropped off by Aldora at both beaches where I had my family waiting. Made for easy days.

I suspect I will be an annual visitor from here on out as my family has fallen in love with Mexico. Particularly the people.
I can't wait to go back.

7/27 Palancar Gardens. 77 min 82ft
7/27 Cedral (Nurse Sharks) 78 min 65ft
7/28 Punta Sur Cathedral (Giant Loggerhead turtle) 63 min 121ft
7/28 Maracaibo 82 min 101ft
7/29 Columbia deep (9-10’ Hammerhead) 88 min 110ft
7/29 San Juan (Long Drift, 6’ & 8’ Nurse Sharks, massive Turtle, Lobsters) 97 min 72ft
7/30 Palancar 86 min 94ft
7/30 Santa Rosa wall (Drift, Giant Moray, Turtle, baby Shark, Lobsters) 91 min 83ft
7/31 Colombia Mid 86 min 114ft
7/31 Cedral (Turtles, Nurse Sharks, Moray Eels, tiny Nudibranchs,)100 min 80ft
8/1 Islote (East Coast off Rastas. Rolling reef, clean, tons of Coral life) 85 min 110ft
8/1 Punta Sur Cathedral (Spotted Eagle Ray, Leaf Crab) 82min 100ft

IMG_9931.jpg

Very nice

No fee at all.
I loved diving with Aldora. When we dove, there were only three of us on the boat plus the guide and Cpt. Fantastic diving.

Thanks for your report.

Mario is amazing. My whole family loves him. He even trained my 10 year old.

Mario is amazing. My whole family loves him. He even trained my 10 year old.
Great to hear. I was talking to my son about getting certified this evening. Still have a few years to go though.

One of the Aldora divers can clarify, but Aldora used to own a pier downtown (and probably still does ). I doubt they would charge their own divers. I haven’t used that pier in decades so possible it could have been affected by one of the storms.
I don't think that the "Aldora pier" is actually owned by Aldora, but at any rate, I believe the question was about the piers at Playa Palancar and Money Bar.

I don't think that the "Aldora pier" is actually owned by Aldora, but at any rate, I believe the question was about the piers at Playa Palancar and Money Bar.
Neither Palancar nor Money Bar charged me any fees to get dropped off.

Back
Top Bottom