Trip Report Short trip to Cozumel—Presidente

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most resort dive operators have the same issue. Large boats with various levels of diver skills. They accommodate to the lowest level. Most have fixed schedule and limit divetime to 50 or 60 min.

Note Aldora fan here. Aldora has 7 boats and groups divers based on skill level. They are small groups of 6 or 7 on boat except for their larger boat , Falicity, that takes 12. Felicity is very fasy for a large boat and has a toilet. All others are smaller panga style with dual 150 hp motors. They all SI at beach club except if you do the lion fish hunt or North sites (special requests). They use 100 (women) and 120 (117) (men) cubic foot high pressure steel tanks. They do a good job sorting their clients based upon skill. That means you will be first sorted by the number of dives you have and Nitrox or Air. After the 1st day they have a good idea on you skill and gas consumtion. You may be with more (or less) skilled people on day 2 based upon you day 1.
We normally dive 80 to 90 min on consumption and sometimes an occasional 100min dive if the group is really good. They like to go up together, but if you need to go up early the DM will inflate their SMB so you can go do you saftey stop. The DM watches and makes sure you dont have an issue getting on boat.

I wonder if this is because they are the on-site dive op for a clientele that may not be avid divers, rather vacation divers, therefore not very experienced?
Seemed to be the case. However, on two dives we were luckily paired with experienced divers.

Thanks for posting this- both Presidente and Aldora have been on my radar for potential trips, so it was good to read your summary.

I love afternoon Coz dives- generally less crowded and I feel like better animal sightings. One of my favorite dives ever was on Cedral Pass one afternoon- there was a point when free swimming moray, large Green turtle, stingray and tons of fish were all right in front of us. We were overwhelmed!

Seemed to be the case. However, on two dives we were luckily paired with experienced divers.
"...vacation divers, therefore not very experienced..."

There are plenty of divers who are one but not the other, both ways.

Hello! This is the young drysuit diver clara. Nice to see you here :):)
The great diver, Clara. It was nice to have that dive with you.

Hello! This is the young drysuit diver clara. Nice to see you here :):)
Nice! Wish I could've been there too. We are in San Jose and dive Monterey as well, albeit in a 7/8mm semidry rather than true dry... nearly froze our butts off diving in August... I wanna say the comp flashed 50 degrees :) looking forward to the 80 degree water in just over 3 short weeks!

Thanks again, @Catito - really appreciate your inputs.

Nice! Wish I could've been there too. We are in San Jose and dive Monterey as well, albeit in a 7/8mm semidry rather than true dry... nearly froze our butts off diving in August... I wanna say the comp flashed 50 degrees :) looking forward to the 80 degree water in just over 3 short weeks!

Thanks again, @Catito - really appreciate your inputs.
For a Fla diver, the 78F was really 🥶

Presidente—loved the sea view

Aldora: will use them in the future. Great operation.
Both choices are tough to beat. Great report and writeup !!

Back
Top Bottom