Yoke socket DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a "high" not equaled by anything else. Do you know what it feels when you hear the UPS guy throwing the package on your front porch??

Come on, I have been checking the tracking service several time a day waiting for my packages for several days now (even with email notifications I still check it). Don't you do this yourself?
That's true.

I've been refreshing my tracking on the package from @buddhasummer every 5 min. No update since yesterday at 2 am. But, any minute now it will say it's at the next stop on the way.

Please don't give me the sob story about how little the average salaries are where you are, I am in Libya and the average national salary is less than $200 per month. Second, in my posts above, I specifically mentioned the affluent folks in the WEST which is western Europe and North America.
how come each time you are debating something diffrent than the point I was trying to make.
The point of my last message was not trying to tell you how much of a little salaries people make, other than trying to tell you not everyone has the financial ability for something that you think is affordable no matter where in the world these people live.

Doing something in a diffrent way doesn't mean doing it wrong.
posting my DIY socket was not trying to show off my craftsmanship, it's just an other solution I'm trying to share. If someone find it useful that makes me happy. I'll bet others can spend less time to do a better job than I did, and make the socket as beautyful as they desire.
DIY is all about a diffrent solution. learning from the process and enjoying it is what's it all about.

Have a good day SIR

I have found on any of the yoke regs that I have that a large size adjustable will straddle the yoke and make solid contact on the yoke nut. Before anyone chimes in to say "but you can't get the correct torque using an adjustable" a simple back of the envelope math and a luggage scale will accomplish the task.
that's what I tried and Failed. Even a cheap person like me wouldn't suggest this method FOR ScubaPro. ScubaPro, on the Yoke where thoes 2 legs connect to the base is too big (has a curve) for the wreach to get a good bite, that makes it really ease to slip. You could get away when it's new or less corrosion inside. but it has a really high chance of damaging the Yoke nut.

that's what I tried and Failed. Even a cheap person like me wouldn't suggest this method FOR ScubaPro. ScubaPro, on the Yoke where thoes 2 legs connect to the base is too big (has a curve) for the wreach to get a good bite, that makes it really ease to slip. You could get away when it's new or less corrosion inside. but it has a really high chance of damaging the Yoke nut.
Thanks Bryan, I appreciated your post. Gives ideas. Tools are expensive here too. I'd like to see your C Spanner ideas.

I have never had a Scubapro reg, with Apex and others I have there is no issue as the wrench fully contacts with the nut.

Edit: I think that maybe Scubapro designs its regs to promote the sales of their special tools.

Thanks Bryan, I appreciated your post. Gives ideas. Tools are expensive here too. I'd like to see your C Spanner ideas.
Here is one I made, there is another better one in the same thread that I would copy if I made another.

I have never had a Scubapro reg, with Apex and others I have there is no issue as the wrench fully contacts with the nut.

Edit: I think that maybe Scubapro designs its regs to promote the sales of their special tools.
in 1st pic I lined up the base, you almost can't see the yoke nut.
微信图片_20230807235659.jpg

2nd pic, at an angle you can see the yoke nut is almost hidden behind the legs.
微信图片_20230807235644.jpg

in order to use an adjustable wrench, the wrench must be lifted up left only a tiny bit of contact surface. you can also see thoes scraches on the Yoke nut by using the adjustable .
So....lesson learnd. and this is why I had to make the socket.

from my experience, some time the price is alot higher under "For Scuba" categories than just normal hand tools for the same thing.
For the C spanner, you have to watch out for the size of the " round head" and also the quality might not be as good. but nothing can't be fixed with litlle modification. I had to smooth out the edges of mine a bit, maybe wrap some tape around the spanner to protact the Reg.

What some people may not understand is that some DIYers have the enjoyment of doing things. It isn't about the time involved, as they enjoy the process. I personally love building things with my hands. It is only when I don't have time (or skills) do I pay others to do work for me. Otherwise I enjoy doing it myself.

To the OP, I salute you.

EDIT: this enjoyment is accentuated when I have to buy new tools! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom