Yoke socket DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BryanX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Recently I've started learning how to service my own Regs, so I could save some money in the long run.
But some of the special tools it's just over priced. Yoke Socket for example, a normal 25mm socket here is about $1.10 include shipping. A cheap special Yoke socket for Scubapro is about $15, IMO is just too expensive. In order to save money which is the main purpose, I've decided to make my own.

1, 25mm socket $1.10
微信图片_20230806162229_1.png

2, 1/2-1/4 adaptor $1.00
微信图片_20230806164229.png

3, I used a grinder to cut the socket then grind the edge at an angle, so it fits in the A clamp.
微信图片_20230806162249.jpg

4, cut the adaptor, but make sure when it's in the socket they will fit in the A clamp.
微信图片_20230806162254.jpg
微信图片_20230806162258.jpg

took me about an hour to cut and grind the socket. It saved me about $10 so I can spend it on other tools.

Cheers.

took me about an hour to cut and grind the socket. It saved me about $10 so I can spend it on other tools

How much is your time worth? Mine is worth MUCH more than $10 an hour. How much are the tools and is your product of the same quality and will last as long as the $15 product and won't damage the regulator?

How much is your time worth? Mine is worth MUCH more than &10 an hour. How much are the tools and is your product of the same quality and will last as long as the $15 product and won't damage the regulator?
$10 saved compare $100/hr labor cost each time to send it for service, I've just made $90. Do you make $90/hr? sure I don't.
1 hour of my after dinner free time doesn't cost me anything. And a joy of achievement afterward is priceless.
A tool is a tool, as long as it gets the job done and it saves me money, I don't really care. I'll probably used it once a year. with my age, 20-30 times max. I think it will last.
I'm not planning to service other people's regs, if I really worry about a little damage on the yoke nut, then I'll probably just spend the money let the service center to do it. If you worry not to leave any marks during service, my best bet is not to service it at all. it will never be as new as when it first came out of the box.
FYI, I did had some bad experience in the past with them serivce my Regs, and that's why I wanted to do it my self.

$10 saved compare $100/hr labor cost each time to send it for service, I've just made $90. Do you make $90/hr? sure I don't.
1 hour of my after dinner free time doesn't cost me anything. And a joy of achievement afterward is priceless.
A tool is a tool, as long as it gets the job done and it saves me money, I don't really care. I'll probably used it once a year. with my age, 20-30 times max. I think it will last.
I'm not planning to service other people's regs, if I really worry about a little damage on the yoke nut, then I'll probably just spend the money let the service center to do it. If you worry not to leave any marks during service, my best bet is not to service it at all. it will never be as new as when it first came out of the box.
FYI, I did had some bad experience in the past with them serivce my Regs, and that's why I wanted to do it my self.

I am talking about the socket not servicing the regulator.

Looks great !! It is amazing how decent a job using hand tools you can do... I am sure a lathe would have been handy...

How much is your time worth? Mine is worth MUCH more than &10 an hour. How much are the tools and is your product of the same quality and will last as long as the $15 product and won't damage the regulator?

Ask people how much they pay for their collage education and books.

Building things give you pride, education, you learn from mistakes,
Plus it can be very enjoyable, and it keeps you out of trouble.

I am talking about the socket not servicing the regulator

already had the grinder, so $0
For the spirit of DIY, I'm simply shareing my ideas and experience here, $10 might not seems much to you, but not everyone makes $20/hr, especially here in SE Asia.
If anyone some point loses a Yoke socket, there are more solutions for the tool.
everything realates to servicing regs are over priced. 10 o-rings in a service kit cost 200%-500% more, plus all the special tools. A piece of metal doesn't have to cost 10 times more just because it's "Dedicated" for scuba.
After digging and learning, here are some of the "Special tools" that I think are over priced.
Brass o-ring picks, C spanner, IP gauge, Scubapro Universal tool.......the list just goes on and on. all of these "Speical Dedicated" tools either could be hand made or found cheaper alternitive.

already had the grinder, so $0
For the spirit of DIY, I'm simply shareing my ideas and experience here, $10 might not seems much to you, but not everyone makes $20/hr, especially here in SE Asia.
If anyone some point loses a Yoke socket, there are more solutions for the tool.
everything realates to servicing regs are over priced. 10 o-rings in a service kit cost 200%-500% more, plus all the special tools. A piece of metal doesn't have to cost 10 times more just because it's "Dedicated" for scuba.
After digging and learning, here are some of the "Special tools" that I think are over priced.
Brass o-ring picks, C spanner, IP gauge, Scubapro Universal tool.......the list just goes on and on. all of these "Speical Dedicated" tools either could be hand made or found cheaper alternitive.

I guess whatever floats your boat and keeps you happy.

Looks great !! It is amazing how decent a job using hand tools you can do... I am sure a lathe would have been handy...
a lathe would definitely be handy. these two I had to pay over $20 for, one brass bullet and a teflon rod. with a lathe it would only cost $2
微信图片_20230806220530.png

I don't know why these cost so much.
a Yoke soket cost $24 on sucba-clinic. and $33 will get my self a set of these.
微信图片_20230806224537.png

Back
Top Bottom