Yoke socket DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean we can't discuss the validity, safety, merits and cost effectiveness of DIY projects? Everything goes without common sense applied?
Not speaking as a mod here, but my personal thinking is that a single comment questioning such an aspect of a DIY project does no harm and might be of interest to someone. But much like the DIR forum, the problem is when someone goes on and on with the questioning.

Not speaking as a mod here, but my personal thinking is that a single comment questioning such an aspect of a DIY project does no harm and might be of interest to someone. But much like the DIR forum, the problem is when someone goes on and on with the questioning.

I only asked my question once but one thing leads to another. I wouldn't put that socket anywhere near my Atomics or SP regulators TBH.

@BryanX Good on you. I did much the same and it is amazing the ridiculous amount that needs to be removed to fit a socket between the yoke and yoke nut.

[rant]
Real culprit here is poor design engineering.

There really is no reason that it could not have been designed such that a relatively standard 3/8" drive socket would work. My HOG uses a 3/4" socket that only needs to be flat-sanded to remove the end-chamfer since the nut-flats are so thin. Actually I am now up to 4 flat-sanded, de-chamfered sockets for various regulator tasks - annoying, but not a huge deal for a DYIer.

And seriously, how hard would it be to use one size up for the yoke-clamp threads so that a standard 3/8" drive extension could pass through. So now I have a dedicated 3/8" extension for regs ...
[/rant]

@BoltSnap hmmmmmm .... I see we now have ... leverage ... 😈

I have found on any of the yoke regs that I have that a large size adjustable will straddle the yoke and make solid contact on the yoke nut. Before anyone chimes in to say "but you can't get the correct torque using an adjustable" a simple back of the envelope math and a luggage scale will accomplish the task.

I have found on any of the yoke regs that I have that a large size adjustable will straddle the yoke and make solid contact on the yoke nut. Before anyone chimes in to say "but you can't get the correct torque using an adjustable" a simple back of the envelope math and a luggage scale will accomplish the task.

You should use a proper torque wrench to properly tighten the yoke or din connectors if you want to do a proper DIY job on your life support equipment. If you screw up tightening these connectors, just remember that they are sitting right behind your head under very high pressure. Somebody I know here did what you did and his first stage din connector almost separated from the first stage and started leaking air 30 meters underwater. He had to come to surface immediately not making his safety stop. He came to me the next day with his hat in his hand and lots of middle eastern sweets asking me to tighten the connector properly using the torque wrench I bought from SP. I did that for him no charge but later he surprised me by sending the of the wrench in euros cash. He was man enough to admit that he was wrong when he dismissed my concerns about his DIY effort at the beginning.

You should use a proper torque wrench to properly tighten the yoke or din connectors if you want to do a proper DIY job on your life support equipment. If you screw up tightening these connectors, just remember that they are sitting right behind your head under very high pressure. Somebody I know here did what you did and his first stage din connector almost separated from the first stage and started leaking air 30 meters underwater. He had to come to surface immediately not making his safety stop. He came to me the next day with his hat in his hand and lots of middle eastern sweets asking me to tighten the connector properly using the torque wrench I bought from SP. I did that for him no charge but later he surprised me by sending the of the wrench in euros cash. He was man enough to admit that he was wrong when he dismissed my concerns about his DIY effort at the beginning.
Did you not see my suggestion as to how to obtain the correct torque I specifically added it for your benefit. The method will give an accurate result possibly better than the average torque wrench that hasn't been calibrated in some time.

Did you not see my suggestion as to how to obtain the correct torque I specifically added it for your benefit. The method will give an accurate result possibly better than the average torque wrench that hasn't been calibrated in some time.

I did see and I think I mentioned that my friend did what you did but still failed. It isn't more accurate at all. I use high quality tools with dual tools when accuracy is required. I have a digital torque wrench and the SP wrench made by the best Italian mfg. in Europe.

@grf88
What I truly don't understand is why people in the west who are more affluent than us in third world countries nickel and dime themselves and not buy good tools when they are easily available to them right in their countries and not have to deal with the BS people like me have to deal with living in shiit places.

I did see and I think I mentioned that my friend did what you did but still failed. It isn't more accurate at all. I use high quality tools with dual tools when accuracy is required. I have a digital torque wrench and the SP wrench made by the best Italian mfg. in Europe.
Whoopsie doo, good for you, most people have an average torque wrench not a fancy digital made by the finest Italian company. Check @rsingler as to his opinion on using a digital scale, he is considered to be the guru of regulator maintenance on Scubaboard. Maybe your friend failed in his math.

Whoopsie doo, good for you, most people have an average torque wrench not a fancy digital made by the finest Italian company. Check @rsingler as to his opinion on using a digital scale, he is considered to be the guru of regulator maintenance on Scubaboard. Maybe your friend failed in his math.

No, the digital scale I bought from Amazon in the US (I believe it was Rob who recommended it originally). It is the other wrench, mechanical not digital, was the one made by the Italian mfg.

Frankly, when there is conflict between what people say, I listen to the original mfg of the equipment and their engineers.

Back
Top Bottom