YO257 Wreck Today with Justleesa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This 110 ft former yard oiler has a catchy name---her call letters from her time stationed at Pearl Harbor. She was originally sunk in 1989 as an artificial reef and rests on the ocean floor at 100ft. The snowflake coral makes this reef uniquely beautiful and she is certainly teeming with life. The viz was unusually poor today--about 60 ft. Leesa and I still had a really great dive, I always love passing the camera back and forth. The usual resident turtles were lounging around on the bow while their harem of fish gave them a complimentary grooming. Leesa and I did a bit of a penetration on the first deck and found a big octopus, and some bizarre crab that I cannot remember the name of but he was trying to pass himself off as a sponge. Thanks Leesa and Roger for prying me off Scubaboard and into the water.

Duckster, (THAT GUY) you will do this dive next week... Images: Leesa, Turtles, Me

Aloha,
Catherine

Great pics Catherine. Glad you and Leesa had a good dive. I hope Leesa didn't give you too many tips...

that did not take you too long, Chico! yea, it was great. What are those fish at the turtle cleaning station Leesa? and the crab with the bad toupee?

you know we will take you. Leesa knows where every critter hides.

Yes, it was so fun that I, once again, almost forgot the time. It just isn't fair that we can't stay down longer without having to pay for it later :( just looked at the pictures again...in the third picture I look like a conehead with all that air under my hood....lol

Anyway, I just check my trusty Hoover and the big crab we saw was a Sleepy Sponge Crab. The book says it is the worlds largest sponge crab. It goes on to say that
when large sponges are scarce, these crabs will carry rubber slippers, bits of rope, wood or even metal. One was even found with a crown of thorns on it's back - the arms neatly clipped. The crabs will even feed off these stars.
kinda interesting :D

Now the fish that were cleaning the turtles...I'm not soo sure. I looked at other photos that I have and there it is usually the Gold-ring Surgeonfish cleaning the turtles. Could that be?

i think he went to bed... I am so curious about that crab. So it is like a bad toupe? Next time we will have to take him a slippa. Alcina my images look better small. I will try and post bigger.

catherine96821:
Alcina my images look better small. I will try and post bigger.

LOL! I think you underestimate yourself :)

FWIW a pretty good rule of thumb for sizes should you choose to post larger is 640 to 700 pixels on the longest side and under 100kb files. If you change the image profile to sRGB the colors will look better to a wider range of viewers, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom